Our partner

How alert/aware could an Alter be?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

How alert/aware could an Alter be?

Postby Zor » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Specifically I mean of what the host is doing. Is it plausible that seeing something happening or "warning signs" of something happening later, that they could recognize the events the host is experiencing, and know what they are learning, then take over and act on that knowledge? All, of course, without the host knowing (which I have little doubt of this last part, b/c mine have acted for YEARS without me being aware they were part of me).
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor - primary host & main poster
The rest of us: Pixie, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How alert/aware could an Alter be?

Postby VioletFlux » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:26 pm

I'd say some can be very alert or aware, and ready to act on things. Protectors for example. We know in our system, Mike has been 'watching out' for stuff for a very long time.

Observers are another example, though they may be less inclined to act on things. Our Rebecca claims she never has amnesia or time loss, so she sees everything, but she rarely acts on things, unless it's something critical.

V2
Most Active: Violet aka V2 (16); Melissa (7); Viola (17); Rebecca (∞);
L---- (14); Protectors: Charlie (6); Mike (35); Littles: Arin (6); Janet (4);
Body: 48f; Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.
Our Journey Thread - The whole Flux System
VioletFlux
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:40 am

Postby Zor » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 pm

VioletFlux wrote:I'd say some can be very alert or aware, and ready to act on things. Protectors for example. We know in our system, Mike has been 'watching out' for stuff for a very long time.

Observers are another example, though they may be less inclined to act on things. Our Rebecca claims she never has amnesia or time loss, so she sees everything, but she rarely acts on things, unless it's something critical.

V2

A protector? That makes sense… to be ready to act to protect the host and/or system as a whole. Those ones would more or less have to be aware or know what's happening with the host and/or what they know. Thanks. That helps answer a question or two about something for me. :)
(Body - Male, 39)
The rest of us: Pixie, Kaitie-Lynn (aka "Kitten"), Kaleb, Angel, Katya, Satin, and a few rarely seen
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NyxX » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 pm

Also a gatekeeper might be able to act in that way if your system has one. Z views herself more as a gatekeeper then protector because she doesn't like fronting but will force a switch when she feels its absolutely necessary. While we were still living with our abuser she exerted more control over who would front and front herself most of the time. Now she just mostly watches us.
nyx-usual poster
Nixie, The Pixie, Big ZuZu, Z, backup-known active alters
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Postby SphinxMoth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 pm

You'll have to correct me if I use the wrong terminology, but I believe that system managers can be very aware too. I don't know if it applies to all managers, but I've considered a lot of them to have a function similar to a tape recorder - often knowing everything there is to know that's important. I know for several of the Ts we have had, there was one alter they would ask to speak to if they wanted specific information. That alter could often dredge up things from specific times and dates and confirm things that had happened to other alters.

I don't know that my protectors were always alert because we had protectors to protect from different things, and thus they would come out during specific times. As the body aged and left the FOO, those particular situations became less common (although still plausible) and the protectors would try to protect if and when similar situations arose (which was confusing to me and a very good indicator of DID during my initial diagnosis), I don't think they came out in situations that weren't specific to them. I could be wrong because my memory from that time is super bad. It makes me curious if they were watching the whole time though!
Dx: DID, CPTSD, depression.
Three known alters remain.
SphinxMoth
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:40 am

Postby Zor » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:11 pm

NyxX wrote:Also a gatekeeper might be able to act in that way if your system has one. Z views herself more as a gatekeeper then protector because she doesn't like fronting but will force a switch when she feels its absolutely necessary. While we were still living with our abuser she exerted more control over who would front and front herself most of the time. Now she just mostly watches us.

Is it possible that an alter can act as a gatekeeper and protector?
(Body - Male, 39)
Zor
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SphinxMoth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 pm

I don't see why not, Zor. If a gatekeeper can help control switching and memory access then why not protecting?
SphinxMoth
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby NyxX » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Each system is different but for us yes. We were punished if we displayed emotions that displeased our abuser so our primary protector needed a high degree of control over the system the ability to think clearly and calmly no matter the situation. Z can not only control who fronts she can make it so no one fronts.

I always used to think it was strange that I remembered calmly shutting off my awareness of the body during what is probably my clearest childhood memory. And she is shutting things down one by one first tactile senses then smells then sound then sight. Since becoming aware if my parts I have asked her about it and she said its her function.
nyx-usual poster
We might mention Ozalces he is our SO he made an account but doesn't use it much
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SphinxMoth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:50 pm

NyxX, I find it really fascinating that you were able to evacuate the body, so to speak. If I may ask, what happened to the body while you were gone? Did it just exist like a mannequin? Was it sort of on autopilot? That's a really interesting and smart saving technique! Good job, Z!
SphinxMoth
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby NyxX » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 am

I have no clue well other then be abused and Z knew what was about to happen so I have an idea about it. As far as I'm aware there is no memory of the time it would happen. I say as far as I'm aware because my memory of childhood is mostly missing. I also have no memory of him ever complain or being unhappy about it.

However as I got older he did expect responded from me and I have memories of those events well fragments of memory really they starts from when I was maybe 9/10.

So based on that and the fact Z is adamant that all awareness would be cut I think we must have been something resembling catatonic. At least I hope so because if even a fragment of our mind was left there is probably an alter or fragment that holds the memory.
nyx-usual poster
NyxX
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post