Our partner

Healthy to be attached to a headmate?

Dissociative Identity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Violarules

Healthy to be attached to a headmate?

Postby Peridot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 am

Hello, I was wondering if it was necessarily healthy to be attached to a headmate? I've had mine for as long as I've been capable of forming thoughts, and she isn't necessarily bad...? In fact, I look to her for guidance and she usually talks me out of stupid decisions. I hear that if headmates can influence you that much, whether it's positive or negative, you should see a doctor and try to 'get rid of' them? But... I'm happy with mine, honestly. I don't feel as lonely, I feel a sense of unity rather than feeling overwhelmed. So is it so wrong? Should I consult a doctor?
Peridot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Healthy to be attached to a headmate?

Postby birdsong87 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 pm

our former doc used to say that there is a fine line between normal expressions of the mind and a disorder. usually what makes something a disorder is that it is causing you or people around you distress or it limits your ability to function in life or otherwise has a negative effect on your (mental) health.
if you are cool with a headmate and this is not causing you any trouble, is there really a need to change anything?
usually you would go find help if you have a problem. is it a problem?
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
our blog on resources: https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:23 am

Postby TeddyBear the helper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Peridot wrote: I feel a sense of unity rather than feeling overwhelmed. So is it so wrong? Should I consult a doctor?

No need for a doctor. a good doctor would tell you to communicate and be friends with your headmates until you feel as a unity with them, and you are already there..
Helper for a couple of DID-ers. Admin for a traumaforum for scandinavian languages , http://traumeverden.net/
TeddyBear the helper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Postby BeccaBee » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:41 pm

headmates are there. it's a for better or for worse thing. so you may as well shoot for the better.
Female, 37
Dx: DID, C-PTSD, Panic Disorder

We are the Bees

The Rabbit Hole
BeccaBee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:23 am

Postby IainEtc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 am

Hi,

Host knew I was in his head a long time before he figured out about DID (or admitted that he's part of a system - whole other story :roll: ). We would talk through stuff and try to make life ok. Anyway what I mean is that we've been living together and helping each other for a long time and that's not a disorder!

There is nothing wrong with having people in your head. The important thing is to get good communication and to help each other. We see a therapist to help us get along and because there are some pretty bad feelings inside. Not to get rid of anybody!

Iain
Iain - 14, Colin - 17, Evan - 7, Cody - 16, Raven, Host - the adult out front

When they say 'be yourself',
which one do they mean?
IainEtc
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby contentbrace » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Yea, no doubt talking friend where you have no idea what will be said for those new moments that life brings everyday is rather joyful. I have no problem with it.
contentbrace
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Identity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post