Our partner

dissociative fugue

Dissociative Fugue message board, open discussion, and online support group.

dissociative fugue

Postby patm3300 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:04 pm

dissociative fugue is a very interesting medical condition. it is when a person is very stressed out about their current life so they go on a long journey to another place and become a totally different person. they develop a whole new personality at their new location. while they are away they can actually be very successful people and some of them have actually been known to start up their own business. however, eventually they snap out of it and return to their original home. they remember nothing of what went on during the fugue. they often times become very depressed because they must once again live in their miserable lives. lets discuss this interesting and devastating disorder.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
patm3300
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

just found this

Postby thekatinthehat » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:24 am

I decided to do a search to see if there were any messageboards out there about fugues that I could lend my support too. I see that noone has posted to this board, but I do want to let everyone know that in 1999, my then-fiancee (now husband) had two fugue episodes. I will be glad to share what happened if there is someone out there who has gone through something and would like to know that they aren't alone.

I will tell you that it was life-changing.
thekatinthehat

Postby Gloria » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:34 pm

I had the experience a few months ago, of after hearing some bad news, FINDING myself one day later 1000 miles away. But I did not take up an identity and stay there. I already have many hundreds of identities, and often do not have a clew who I am, or even if I am human or not.
Does this qualify under your definition?
"God don't make no junk" --Ethel Waters
Gloria
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Postby yeh- » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:27 pm

----
Last edited by yeh- on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeh-

confused

Postby perminent_loser » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:44 pm

how do u no if u have this? im confused, some 1 told me to look it up as i sounded like i have it or something but now im just reli confused, the thing i said that made the person say to look it up was that i cut without knoing, like ill just b sitting there and ill go blank and a few minutes later ill b bleeding but i have no idea what happened, or any recolection of doin it, ive bn doin this a lot tho i just thought i was being strange and zoneing out, its reli frustraiting as i keep missingso much of what ppl say to me or whats bn happening, and i cant take how messed up my emotions are rite now it feels like all my strong emotions are treaing apart inside me, ill feel reli reli happy on the out side and b suicidal inside or vice versa, or ill have diff emotions to what im ment to have like when something happens and im ment to b sad or reli happy ill feel cold and dead inside and have no reaction, its driving me crazy along with some other stuff, but before i go into any of thhat and make a fool of myself, how do i no what this is? is it this? or anm i just over reacting and being weird? plz help im lost and so confused
CuT mE oPeN mAkE mE bLeEd, jUsT tO lEt Me KnOw Im AlIvE.
perminent_loser
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Harri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:15 pm

I can't bring myself to call you 'permanent loser' but i read on the SI thread your name is Harrie (that makes two of us! lol!)
Anyway, Harrie, what you're describing sounds like dissociation. It's probably not dissociative fugue, which involves travelling distances and living as another person henceforth.
But it does sounds like a form of dissociation, which is basically the mind's way of distancing itself form the body when the mind cannot deal with what is happening in reality.
The most basic form of this is daydreaming in class. Or have you ever felt like you're above yourself, lookign down at your own form? Or you get so engrossed in a though or dream that you don't notice whats happening around you? Or like you said, you space out and then snap to reality after some time has passed. These are all forms of dissociation, and if this is happening while you're cutting, then it may be an idea to talk to someone, because it could mean that there's some hidden problems inside you needing to be worked through.
You're not overreacting - I thought i was overrreacting for two years before seeking a therapist. We're here for you at any rate! :D
-- So what then is this I?
Right now, as you read this, does it amount to anything more than a collection of thoughts and memories which are just transitory, and come and go in the mind like clouds in the sky? --
Harri
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

thanks harri

Postby perminent_loser » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:04 pm

heya harri, thats soo kewl same name :P
sure u can call me PL thats what i am :P
yer i realised id posted it in the wrong bit after, :P so stupid :p thank you for still replying tho, looking above? not really, lookin over at me from somewhere else yer but not reli looking down alot, and i do get reli into my thoughts and ave noidea whats goin on, or where ive walked to when i snap outa it,

thank you for your time in reading and replying, helped me understand abit more :D cya xx
CuT mE oPeN mAkE mE bLeEd, jUsT tO lEt Me KnOw Im AlIvE.
perminent_loser
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Harri » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:30 am

hehe, 's cool! anytime, friend :D
<3 <3

oh yeah btw...you're not a loser. Well i dont think so anyway ;)
-- So what then is this I?
Right now, as you read this, does it amount to anything more than a collection of thoughts and memories which are just transitory, and come and go in the mind like clouds in the sky? --
Harri
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: dissociative fugue

Postby orion13213 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:02 pm

A couple of years ago I had a strange experience with a girlfriend; a minor, subtle experience, yet I have never forgotten it, since it was so startling. I had just moved in with her and after an intense night during our 'honeymoon' phase (after visiting the HPD forum it seems likely she is also thus afflicted) I woke up with her late one Saturday morning to let her know I was going back over to my old place to get a few more things to move in. She yawned, stretched out her arms and agreeably said "ok." We talked a little bit more and she seemed fully awake; i.e., not in a dreamy state or sleepwalking, etc.

When I returned a few hours later with some more of my stuff I was surprised to hear from her that she was really hurt that I had "just up and left and hadn't the consideration to even tell her where I was going."

At first I thought she was kidding around, but then it hit me hard because it seemed that she had NO MEMORY WHATSOEVER of the conversation we had only a few hours earlier, when she seemed lucid and fully awake. Although in hindsight it could have been your typical disingenuous or manipulative HPD behavior noted since visiting that forum, it seemed more like...

fugue :shock:
Be tolerant of others, but true to yourself. In supporting you, I try to offer common sense. PM me if you need to.
Review policies here: forum-rules.php
Sorry, I cannot delete posts.
orion13213
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:06 pm

Re: dissociative fugue

Postby angelica fernandes » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:30 am

Dissociative fugue is the unexpected travel of a person who cannot later recall the trip. Dissociative fugue is classified among the dissociative disorders. In a dissociative state the affected person temporarily is unable to integrate all the elements of personality into a unified whole; the result is fragmentation, dissociation, or splitting. Other dissociative disorders are dissociative amnesia, dissociative identity disorder, and depersonalization disorder. A fugue is a flight: in music, of notes and melody; in psychopathology, of persons and personalities. The sufferer may assume a new identity while on his or her trip and be genuinely unable to recall the former, true identity. An elaborate or full-blown example of psychogenic fugue would include the person assuming a bolder, more outgoing personality during the fugue state than would normally be characteristic of that person. More often, however, the fugue state is relatively short. Dissociative fugue usually consists of a single, nonrecurrent episode.
angelica fernandes
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Dissociative Fugue Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post