Our partner

This is dissociative fugue??

Dissociative Fugue message board, open discussion, and online support group.

This is dissociative fugue??

Postby Howlin Mad » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:28 am

I've been told that what I had was a dissociative fugue episode. I had an idea of dissociation, but not the fugue stuff.
I can't piece it together.
It was after I lost four hours of time went from walking through somewhere relatively near to me to being 11 miles away on the M1, freezing, soaking, with my jacket in my bag and I actually found thorns a week later from that day. But I didn't know how I got there, or how long it had been. Or why I was there for that matter. It wasn't in the direction I was supposed to be headed in.
I was actually headed to my doctors appointment, so using the highway phone to tell them I was headed to the hospital anyway probably saved them the trouble of suggesting I go there. On the phone, I was just repeating over and over that I was lost, and I didn't know how I got so lost, and by the time I got to the hospital, I must have looked a proper state. The nursing staff were really nice to me, kept checking up on me as I had to wait an hour because I had long missed my appointment.

But still, I told my doctor, and he asked some stuff, and I told him it'd happened before, but the only time I'd ended up somewhere I didn't really know was in harrogate, and I also told him I have a terrible memory for birthdays, events with family and friends, Christmases and stuff, weddings. I completely forgot my college interview and the guy that was talking to us for five hours, and I was so scared I hadn't gone at all, and I didn't even recognise him when I saw him, someone had to tell me he did that interview with us.
And for a month I couldn't recognise one of the tutors I had from my last course.
I always forget people, but sometimes I forget them when I probably shouldn't.

I don't know about any of that, but my doctor told me harrogate and the M1 incident were likely dissociative fugue.

H.M
Howlin Mad
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: This is dissociative fugue??

Postby salted lipstick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi,

I thought I'd reply even though I don't know a lot about Dissociative Fugue specifically... This section is pretty quiet so feel free to drop by the Dissociative Identity Disorder forum if you want a bit more input on your situation.

Four hours is not a particularly long amount of time from what I've read of what typical Dissociative Fugue episodes seem to run from. Certainly your experience of the loss of time is dissociative but I would have probably thought it would be classed as Dissociative Amnesia personally... Fugue is generally coupled with taking on a different identity for that time period, thinking you are someone else. Some people with Dissociative Fugue have been known to live for a matter of weeks or years in a different location, known by a different name. That is the main reason why I would think it is more likely to be dissociative amnesia, because you had a loss of time but you didn't live as someone else for that time...

If you have experienced this type of time loss on several occasions, it is possible that you may have alternative personalities taking over for that time period and may be experiencing Dissociative Identity Disorder instead.

It is good that your doctor is receptive to this being a dissociative disorder (as some aren't for some reason), so that should mean you will be able to get the help you need. That is a ver positive thing. Do you have a therapist to help you figure this stuff out? It could help to look into getting a therapist with experience in dealing with dissociative disorders...

In the meantime, I'd suggest having a read through of the different symptoms of the different dissociative disorders and seeing if there are any other symptoms that you recognise. Commonly, people who suffer from one type of dissociative disorder will also have other dissociative experiences, so you may find you relate to some of the other dissociative disorders also.
In a way, I am not defined by my dissociation. In a way, I am.

FORMER admin moderator. For current list please see: forum rules and list of active mods
salted lipstick
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:04 am

Postby Una+ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 am

Hi H.M. You're describing dissociative amnesia, "lost time", and the not recognizing people you know you know is derealization, another dissociative symptom. In all, it sounds like you have dissociative identity disorder, DID. I imagine you feel like you are going crazy; it seems everyone with DID has that feeling. Don't worry, though; you are not going crazy. Your reality testing is working just fine. Come on over to the DID forum!
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Howlin Mad » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 am

HAHAHAH! But how do you put the reality tester on silent? Cause it's a slight inconvenience.

I don't worry about it, not really. I maybe should, but it doesn't happen very bad that often. Hopefully the new therapist will be able to tell me what it is, and which bits are which.

Salted lipstick, interesting taste. I can see how PTSD would be related. And I'm glad my doctor knows about it, really. My psychology teacher didn't, and didn't even know what derealisation was. But he did know DID, then told me to shut up when I asked about it because we aren't studying it yet.
Howlin Mad
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Dissociative Fugue Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post