Our partner

Newbie in need of Help/Advice

Dissociative Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Newbie in need of Help/Advice

Postby syveti » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:06 am

Okay so, I'll start this by saying I'm by no means looking for a diagnosis here or anything of that sort. I'm looking for personal stories, advice, etc. Whatever y'all got, really, because Google is not helpful.
Apologies if this isn't in the right place, I'm new here.

Since October of last year I've experienced these weird brain episodes. I don't know what to call them except extreme depersonalization. It feels like my brain and consciousness is being grabbed and pried out of my head by some other force. My consciousness moves to the back of my skull and everything becomes sort of static-y, blurry and unreal, and I either become unable to move or my movements become very hard to do. I feel stiff and heavy. I feel like I'm fighting something, and sometimes I can become sleepy. This only really happened when I was stressed, but I do remember it happening when I was calm, and during this period of time I either dissociated all day or was having one of these episodes.
It stopped for a few months, and then last Thursday (3/30) it happened while I was cooking. This was particularly distressing because 1. I was deep frying, and being barely able to move then is pretty dangerous and 2. I noticed I felt a bit "different" after that. I don't know how to explain it. It has happened once since then, but I suspect that if I have any alters, they switch or co-front more regularly than that.

I am a victim of repeated trauma and abuse, and I have done drugs. Both of these things haven't happened in a while, outside of flashbacks and small doses. I've always sort of joked and suspected I had DID or OSDD because of several reasons, but always brushed it off until recently. I researched the symptoms and found I fit most of them, besides lots of amnesia and sturdy seperate identities. I've been watching my behavior and seeing how the things I like, the things I'm good at, how I talk, my body language, thoughts, etc. change over the day, and I notice them more and more often. Ever since I noticed myself changing so often like this, my mental health has been slowly declining, and I'm losing track of who I think I am.

I don't want another self-diagnosis but I don't know what to do. It's a very scary thought, and makes me panic a bit even talking about. I feel like part of this could just me be subconsciously influencing my behavior but there are things I've done and heard about myself doing before I even considered I had some dissociative disorder that aren't explainable, like sudden mood swings and memory loss.

I'm very very hesitant to come forward to my parents about this, as they are the source of my trauma and my sister is currently struggling with depression and anxiety. I don't think they would believe me. I will be 18 soon, however. I do plan on getting diagnoses as soon as money and time allows for other issues, so I'm already working on that. Any advice?
Last edited by Snaga on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to DID, then back to DDNOS with a shadow link left in DID; no edits
syveti
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Newbie in need of Help/Advice

Postby Snaga » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Mmm I felt moved enough by your post, to create a shadow link to it in DID forum also, so that it can be followed it here.

I have OSDD possibly also- I have had definite times (usually under stress) where I felt not in control- but it wasn't so much feeling as if it was hard to move, as much as I simply wasn't in executive control of the body- it was doing what needed doing (at work) just fine- I was merely a passive observer. Wasn't even unpleasant, merely curious, almost amusing in a detached, lazy way- not really frightening because things were getting handled quite well- I just wasn't the one doing it.

After that, well other personalities began peeking out- at least so that I was actually conscious of what was happening.

If.. it turns out this fits better in depersonalization or something, we can always move it later- but I think it's fine here for the moment, let's see where it goes.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:18 am

Postby syveti » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Thank you for the welcome!

I'm still researching a bit. I'm hesitant to believe it's even a psychological thing, just to be thorough and rule out more mundane options, but I'm still not sure. Perhaps a type of seizure? I have no history of them but, first time for everything, I guess. I do have pretty bad vertigo sometimes, so, perhaps that could be related. I dunno.

During the episodes, I usually don't feel frightened. More so just uncomfortable, confused, and waiting for it to stop. I typically can't do what I need to, but I did manage to pull through (albeit, slowly) on the last one. If they happen more often I suppose I'll get more used to them. I do think I have CPTSD and periods of visual hallucinations and delusions so I'm sure that's related somehow.
Everything I look up about the episode things leads to depersonalization but it doesn't explain the "different" feeling after. Ever since I noticed it I've also heard voices on one occasion; right as I was getting ready to sleep I heard two cut-off voices, like they were in the middle of a word. I was too tired to really care then.

I guess I'll just wait if more things pop up but, the suspense is killing me, lol
syveti
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 pm

Postby Snaga » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:46 am

I'm pretty sure that dizziness while being 'switchy' isn't unknown.

But the 'slow to move' thing is... interesting. Maybe someone else here has experienced it and will contribute.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Monav » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:42 am

I have experienced feeling like I was thinking and moving in slow motion and it wasn’t “me” acting, I was observing. I have often in the past bought self-harm “tools” and then not been able to remember where I hid them. I have been aware of a “part” of me having a plan but hiding it from me. I have experienced “switching” while driving - scary. But I don’t lose time. Hope this helps.
Monav
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Dissociative Disorder NOS Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post