Our partner

Dealing with incoming verbal information

Dissociative Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Dealing with incoming verbal information

Postby Western » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:57 pm

How do you and yours deal with incoming information that is being said to you?
For me it's like I hear it but at the same time I don't. It's all jumbled up. I think different bits of the same information are being heard by different parts of me. Like I'll go away and then afterwards different bits will come back at different times. It could be hours, days or even weeks later.
Just wondering how other people with dissociative disorders process this kind of thing.
Western
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:05 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Dealing with incoming verbal information

Postby Johnny-Jack » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:32 pm

I've had to learn how to stop and listen, calmly, carefully. I've definitely gotten garbled comments or what seem like messages. I'll ask if anyone has anything to say. I'll say aloud sometimes, inside sometimes, that I want to know what was just or communicated said but that I didn't understand it all.

I have DID so I know that I'm dealing with alters of different ages and experiences. We often get a mishmash of thoughts, emotions, images, words, all jumbled together. My T has often said to ask inside, which I do. But the response I get isn't a nice clean answer, worded clearly by a calm adult, it's just not always decipherable. But inner jumble often has a feeling associated with it, a sense or an emotion, and I accept that as communication.

I used to read inner turmoil as a problem in communication but I've come to accept it sometimes as the essence of communication. I didn't used to know this but we experienced chaos and emotional turmoil often as an abused child, so hearing or receiving that now is sometimes the exact communication I'm seeking.

I've found the only hope for me in these times is to remain open, calm, receptive, inviting, alert. I listen carefully, I wait, I try to be patient. None of that guarantees clarity but nothing else works better so far.

If you're getting verbal information, it's coming from a part with verbal abilities. So addressing it verbally -- aloud, inside, or on paper -- makes sense.
Forum rules

Dx = DID. My blog. My personal Periodic Table of alters.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Cn Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ki Kn Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn
Johnny-Jack
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:05 pm
Blog: View Blog (45)

Postby Western » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:14 pm

Thank you for that.
I've tried talking to the different parts lately because I know they're there but I've not always had a line of communication with them. It's more like they talk through me and not to me, if you know what I mean.

My question was more about other people (not alters). Like for instance I got fired from my job last week. I was present for the disciplinary and I was fully listening and talking. My personality did change twice as I can remember but the information of what was being said to me by my manager wasn't getting through. I sat down afterwards and thought about this. I start remembering different pieces of information at different times. It's as it different parts (possible alters) are taking in different pieces of information and then I'm remembering it all at different times and stages and my reaction to the different bits of information are consistent with the personality who has remembered it.

This makes it incredibly difficult for me to react in certain situations because...well it just does.

Sorry I didn't make my question more clearer in the first place.
For mash get Smash
Western
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Western » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:53 pm

My T said that it is to do with dissociation. She told me to write everything down because the different little parts of me are remembering different things from serious conversations and they're waking me up in the middle of the night telling me what been said.
For mash get Smash
Western
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Dissociative Disorder NOS Forum