Our partner

C-PTSD & Dissociation- In a better place but feel worse

Dissociative Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

C-PTSD & Dissociation- In a better place but feel worse

Postby DancingArtPiece » Mon May 07, 2018 10:35 pm

For the past 10 years I've been diagnosed with CPTSD and DDNOS. Long story short I recently moved out of state from a place were I was for 15 years. Definitely alot of changes so I can see why I'm activated and possibly more sensitive. However, where I am now is a much safer and happy place. Where i used to be was not. Now that I am here in this new place I feel I am dissociating more often and every emotion, feeling, etc. is getting stronger. I don't know what they are related too but everything in my body is being experienced 10 fold. The logic to me doesn't make sense, the only thing I can come up with is that now that I am in a safer place, all parts of me are coming closer to the surface if you will and I shouldn't see this as a downfall but possibly progress? Anyone have this type of situation?
DancingArtPiece
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: C-PTSD & Dissociation- In a better place but feel worse

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 pm

I'm wondering if maybe it's because you don't feel as numb as you used to? So that maybe the intense emotions you are experiencing now are your unfettered emotions that you are not used to deal with ...
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DancingArtPiece » Sat May 12, 2018 1:06 am

Could most certainly be! I have never felt more out of control now and at least aware of how much I have been "not here" and out of control. It's so hard to believe that it just may be emotions or something else entirely
DancingArtPiece
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Sat May 12, 2018 1:51 am

Did something emotionally significant happened to you lately besides the move?
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DancingArtPiece » Sat May 12, 2018 2:01 am

No. Maybe it's so overwhelming that I have to deal and learn about "myself" for the first time. It's so difficult to explain. It's debilitating sometimes
DancingArtPiece
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Sat May 12, 2018 7:32 pm

DancingArtPiece wrote:No. Maybe it's so overwhelming that I have to deal and learn about "myself" for the first time. It's so difficult to explain. It's debilitating sometimes

I don't know what to say ... I went from feeling numb to an explosion of feelings (negative at first) after a series of events. I'm still learning to deal with those feelings. Maybe it would help if you'd make a longer post and explain your situation in a more detailed manner.
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:50 am

This is old, but I'm commenting anyway.

I don't have DID or DDNOS, but I do tend to go into a dissociative state (exist part way outside of myself) from time to time, and I've also had long lasting derealization episodes.
I do have complex trauma and the dissociative states are in relation to being overwhelmed, stressed and/or triggered.

I also have a lot of schizotypal traits and I could live in my own world almost indefinitely if the isolation wouldn't eventually drive me mad.

When I have a lot going on, I step out of myself until it's tolerable again - or I have no other choice.
I think it's a good survival mechanism although I do wish I was better at grounding myself and "coming back" when I need to

DancingArtPiece wrote:However, where I am now is a much safer and happy place. ... I am dissociating more often and every emotion, feeling, etc. is getting stronger. ... The logic to me doesn't make sense, the only thing I can come up with is that now that I am in a safer place, all parts of me are coming closer to the surface if you will and I shouldn't see this as a downfall but possibly progress? Anyone have this type of situation?

Yes, a lot of people don't "come apart" until they're in a safe place.
That's why war veterans usually end up in a worse state once they're back home and safe.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Return to Dissociative Disorder NOS Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post