Our partner

I can't remember most of my childhood help

Dissociative Amnesia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I can't remember most of my childhood help

Postby abcd12346 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:34 pm

This is weird for me to talk about and I'm really confused so sorry if this doesn't make sense.

I can't remember the majority of my early childhood (from before I was 7) which I thought was normal until I asked my mom her earliest memory and it was from she was like, 3 or something. I can barely remember most of pre-school, one of my two memories being bullied by this one kid, and I can't tell people any of the details up until second grade. I can barely remember places and names, but ask me what I was interested in, or most of my class, or what I looked like, or what I did, and I don't know.

It's a similar situation with my memories from third, fourth, and fifth grade. Although I remember considerably more of people and things, I still can't really give many details about most stuff. I remember like, three assignments we did, two of which were from fifth grade, and I remember these two kids who bullied me, but I barely remember any of the bullying itself.

I feel like big chunks of my life are just really blank to me. I don't know, maybe its an ADHD thing or something, but I kinda want to get y'alls takes on it and figure out if its maybe some sort of dissociative amnesia. Thanks for your help!
abcd12346
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I can't remember most of my childhood help

Postby Snaga » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:06 pm

Hello and welcome!

I struggle sometimes with dissociation. I also have a history of (undiagnosed) ADD behaviours. I used to fancy I had a good memory- but either with age it's decreased- or I'm merely discovering it's not as good as I fancied. I do, however, have early memories- but just isolated vignettes, for the most part, I think.

Do you struggle with current gaps in time? Or is it just your childhood?

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby abcd12346 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:15 pm

I don't know. I do have issues remembering things, but that's usually chalked up to usual ADHD forgetfulness. I have apparently done something or said something or moved something and not remember it sometimes, but thats decently rare. I also sometimes daydream or zone out for long periods of time but its not really a gap in time, I just don't usually know what happens during it.
abcd12346
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:25 am

I've sometimes suspected myself of having OSDD... lets call it OSDD1b- Alters but not so differentiated that there's frequent memory gaps.

Or I just could be a heck of a lot more BPD than I think I is, I don't know.

Like you, I've done plenty of daydreaming over the years. Some of it probably maladaptive daydreaming.

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Return to Dissociative Amnesia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post