Our partner

Why can’t I remember my dad?

Dissociative Amnesia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Why can’t I remember my dad?

Postby Elian1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:15 pm

I'm sorry if I am doing this wrong. I am new here.

I am 16, and my parents are divorced. I have a good relationship with both of them.

My mom and siblings say that my dad was very very abusive was I was young but I can't remember. I have lots of memories where he would beat us, but I can't see him in those memories. It is so freaky. It is like my dad isn't rendering in those memories, but everything else in them is still vivid; like he was invisible. I also was really trying to imagine my dad as super angry like he apparently was a lot, but I can't. I can't seem to see him as someone angry.

Currently my dad loves me and apologizes for what he did. He is very nice now and we hang out a lot. I never see him angry anymore and he is like an entirely different person.

I was wondering if this is Dissociative Amnesia. If so, how would this negatively impact me?
Elian1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Why can’t I remember my dad?

Postby weepingwillow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:42 am

I get where u are coming from. My dad was also abusive but I don't really remember it as such. I think we try to block out the parts that are bad. We only want to see the good in people.

Willow
Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne
weepingwillow
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Return to Dissociative Amnesia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post