Our partner

First episode - so confused!

Dissociative Amnesia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

First episode - so confused!

Postby PomelineGalloway » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:45 am

Today while on my last break at work I went to my locker, then next thing I know I'm down a block and in the chemist buying some butterfly stitches and tape. I had no wounds on myself, have have no recollection of getting myself there or finding the stuff.

Is this normal for dissociative amnesia?

This is the first time something like this has ever happened, although I do white-out when I get extremely mad. I am under a lot of stress at the moment with buying my first home and getting married in 4 months, could the stress trigger it?
PomelineGalloway
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: First episode - so confused!

Postby Secret_Cat » Sun May 04, 2014 6:51 pm

Yes, stress can definitely be a trigger. I have pretty bad anxiety problems, and my doctor explained to me that anxiety and stress can be major triggers for dissociative things- in fact, they can be pretty common triggers.
23 year old in 5th-year of college. Multiple disorders. On Lamictal, 300mg.

"If I'm walking on thin ice, I might as well dance my way across." — Mercedes Lackey
Secret_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:40 pm

Re: First episode - so confused!

Postby Una+ » Mon May 05, 2014 10:53 pm

This experience is what people who have DID call "losing time", which is a dissociative fugue state. In your case it was brief. You came to the same day, not more than a few hours later. Lost time can be very brief, or can run much longer than that.

In DSM prior to DSM-5 dissociative fugue was a stand-alone diagnosis or a symptom of dissociative amnesia. In DSM-5 (published in 2013) fugue states are stated to be rare in dissociative amnesia and common in dissociative identity disorder.

Your experience is a fugue, not an amnesia, because after you came to you were not able to connect your purchasing first aid supplies with any explanatory evidence or event in your life. This suggests that some other part of you, a dissociated part, was following through on some experience of their own, perhaps related to something that happened years or decades ago, that you have forgotten or never experienced in the first place.

I know how confusing and scary this kind of experience can be because I have lose time myself. You and I are not alone. In fact, we have a lot of company! Most posters on the DID Forum can relate. And it is treatable with psychotherapy (talk therapy).
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:40 am

Return to Dissociative Amnesia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post