Our partner

The dissociative amnesia occurs right after the trauma,

Dissociative Amnesia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

The dissociative amnesia occurs right after the trauma,

Postby rachelsara93pg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:48 pm

during the traumatic years or moments, or later in life? Thanks in advance.
rachelsara93pg
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:39 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The dissociative amnesia occurs right after the trauma,

Postby Journalgirl » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:24 pm

I have dissociative amnesia for past trauma events yes though hard to know when you have amnesia for the amnesia :/ and yes sometimes now as in later in life.

So say something bad happens today, I might be fuzzy, foggy or not remember exactly right also.

xxxooo
JournalGirl
Journalgirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby rachelsara93pg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:47 pm

thanks for your answer. i don't know you but i hope you will heal and find a way to live with those memories
bye :)
rachelsara93pg
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Greg » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:57 pm

You wouldn't know.

For me I can't remember most of my childhood before 12 save a few good facts.

We were moving around so much. I cannot tell you any sort of order of which schools I went to and when I was at any given place when I was young.

NOTHING. not even how long I lived with certain people (My parents) for etc.

This is something i'm looking forward to uncovering as soon as/if i ever get into therapy.

For me I don't think I was particularly (Traumatized) It was more of my environment effecting me, and not having a lot around the house or many friends to play with. (I started to dissociate very early sometimes out of boredom, many many times because I was really scared) Also, moving around to drastically different neighborhoods, parents playing hot potato with me, etc. It was just buckwild and that's the way i learned to grow up.

I would close my eyes until I saw stars, then I would go into the stars and imagine myself as the star trek intro (From the 90's)

I would then play out entire fantasies and be "floating" in this dreamland

I would do this for hours.

That's for me anyways, maybe you feel the same way when you think back on it then we can relate :).
Dx ADHD, Manic Depression (as a child) Unefficiated Schizophrenia, Anxiety DNOS (Adult)

Rx Risperdal, Visceral, Celexa, Klonopin
Still haven't had a dissociative diagnostic interview done.
Greg
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Postby Secret_Cat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 pm

For me, it will do that right after I think, but for the most part my past is all fuzzy, and my childhood's a blank- mostly the stuff I know from it are recollections I hear from others or from photographs, though there are select few memories that I know are mine (weird ones, like discovering I left vegetabiles in my cubby at kindergarten, which had rotted). I have definitely forgotten people, too- an old friend transferred to my college recently, and I had no clue who he was, plus I was reading an old journal and there were people mentioned as good friends- one as a best friend- who I had no clue who they were. O_O

So, there is some right after trauma, but then there's a lot that's just random, without any trauma involved in it at all.

Also, Greg, I definitely did that whole dreamland thing as a kid, as well. I'd walk around the house for hours in my dreamworld, worried my mom a bit but she figured I was at least getting exercize. Sometimes I still do it when I'm taking walks, lol.
23 year old in 5th-year of college. Multiple disorders. On Lamictal, 300mg.

"If I'm walking on thin ice, I might as well dance my way across." — Mercedes Lackey
Secret_Cat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby moonraver » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:00 am

For me it happened a year or two after the trauma. I was hospitalized for three months straight and it was really bad, but I met my girlfriend there. I cant even remember what she looks like now. I could remember everything unintentionally, then I kept pressing it down, and the more it popped up, the more I pressed down, and now its locked away and I cant get to it.
moonraver
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Jasper » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:03 pm

Dissociative amnesia very often occurs after a trauma, but it's not a "have to". I had amnesia symptoms, having nothing to do with trauma, but with the fact that I couldn't deal with my Tourette and so "forgot" it and even that I wrote about it in the past and when my tics got worse my memories came back over weeks and months.
"Without realizing it, the individual composes his life according to the laws of beauty even in times of greatest distress." - Milan Kundera

dx: depression, schizotypal PD (with autistic and paranoid tendencies), Tourette's, Transgender
Jasper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby T.A. Anderson » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Tough question. Way too many variables. It just depends.

@ Jasper. Correct me if I am wrong but the situation you describe sure sounds like having post hypnotic amnesia for autobiographic info. That you forgot you even "wrote about it" makes me wonder all the more. As part of the routine for PHA one is to write up the story that they need to forget.

Whether the forgetting was hypnotically induced apparently from your description it did work for some period of time. How long? And did you have any help in your recall? Was your recall highly disorganized? Was there any cueing or triggering besides the increase in tics that brought about recall? Was the recall worse than the original experience? Were your memories emotionally charged? Did question your sanity or suffer any psychosis as a result of question "how could I have possibly forgotten?"
NEO
T.A. Anderson
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:39 pm

Postby Jasper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 pm

T.A. Anderson wrote:Tough question. Way too many variables. It just depends.

@ Jasper. Correct me if I am wrong but the situation you describe sure sounds like having post hypnotic amnesia for autobiographic info. That you forgot you even "wrote about it" makes me wonder all the more. As part of the routine for PHA one is to write up the story that they need to forget.

Whether the forgetting was hypnotically induced apparently from your description it did work for some period of time. How long? And did you have any help in your recall? Was your recall highly disorganized? Was there any cueing or triggering besides the increase in tics that brought about recall? Was the recall worse than the original experience? Were your memories emotionally charged? Did question your sanity or suffer any psychosis as a result of question "how could I have possibly forgotten?"

My tics come very episodically and in between I've just very very minor tics and form time to time it gets worse. What happened was that my tics got worse again, but I couldn't remember that I ever had tics before. :shock: what surprised me because tics usually don't start as an adult so I wanted to register in a Tourette forum I've found over Google and ask there, but I couldn't because I was told that my email address was already registered there. :shock: so the system send me my old username and password to my email address and I registered there. To my surprise I found an old posting that I've written two or three years ago describing my tics and also writing that I have them from time to time since several years. I was totally shocked and it took a while that I could recall it, but after I read it my memories came back.
I guess it was an emotional issue why I've forgotten it, because I had trouble dealing with the tics. My mom treats my tics until today as having calcium issues from time to time or a nervous reaction and she doesn't want to see them it seems. So I grew up that way learning to ignore my tics totally.
Today they aren't such a big issue for me anymore, but it was just recently that I could tell a psychiatrist and tic in front of other ppl without suppressing all the time.i suppressed them in the past to such an extreme that I started biting my nails to deal with the pressure when my tics wanted to come out.now I've stopped with that and I'm able to talk about my tics at least to some ppl.
"Without realizing it, the individual composes his life according to the laws of beauty even in times of greatest distress." - Milan Kundera

dx: depression, schizotypal PD (with autistic and paranoid tendencies), Tourette's, Transgender
Jasper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Dissociative Amnesia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post