Our partner

Habitual Lateness

Disruptive Behavior NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Habitual Lateness

Postby Suzieq48 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 pm

My son has always been late for everything. School, work, dates, weddings, we even nearly missed the ship on a cruise. I've alwYs taken this as him being disorganised. However, lately he said, 'mum do you think there is someywrong with me because of being late all the time.' He can have 15mins or 3hrs to get ready to go out and he's still late. This has impacted on relationships with girlfriends and male friends alike.

I am his mum so just put up with it but it's very waring and I've never thought this was anything but tardiness.

He now tells me it is worrying him and he hates being late. Recently we were late for a family get together in the park to let off balloons in remembrance of a dear friend. This was extremely embarrassing as it was freezing and they waited for us.

His reaction to being late is to blame his girlfriend or me for not reminding him, but we either ring or text him several times up to the date and including the actual day until it is time to leave. Nothing works.

I don't know if anyone has heard of any condition that this might relate to.
Suzieq48
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 9:13 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Habitual Lateness

Postby Wally58 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 pm

I've been there. I used to think that it wouldn't matter if I showed up or not. Part of it was apathy and low self-esteem. Another part was being simply overwhelmed by it all.
It is a cycle that can be broken. I now keep my clocks 3 minutes fast and while part of me knows that, I try to abide by my new time. :mrgreen:
There is a 12-step program for many things and I was surprised to see one for Procrastinators Anonymous (of course they hadn't gotten their website up yet). Ah! Now they do.
http://procrastinators-anonymous.org/fi ... Tools.html
They are also on Facebook.
It is important for him to understand that punctuality is a positive quality that some people hold dear. It really does matter if you aren't there or don't show up.
I trust that he has been evaluated by a doctor or therapist? Some treatments and medications help with concentration and can quiet down the incessant mind-chatter.
Best of luck to both of you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed May 12, 2021 5:13 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Disruptive Behavior NOS