Our partner

weed is the only thing that helps me

Depressive Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

weed is the only thing that helps me

Postby Emily4747 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:43 am

I've had depression for as long as I can remember and the only thing that has ever helped me feel truly happy and content was weed. I got to where I was smoking CONSTANTLY and when I wasn't smoking I was working to get money to buy more weed. I realized by doing this I was just numbing my depression so I didn't have to deal with it instead of figuring out a way of actually maybe getting rid of it. so I've decided to stop smoking weed, but it is just so hard living with depression. Now that I realize I can't just be stoned 24/7, I'm having trouble finding the will to live. my default emotion is nothingness. but when I smoke I'm happy and content with life. Does anyone have any idea of a different substance that could make me feel better like weed does??? (one thats legal and non addictive preferably) Because of weed I know its possible for me to be happy, but I just don't know how to do it without weed!! any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Emily4747
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: weed is the only thing that helps me

Postby Wally58 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Like you with using weed for treating depression, I self-medicated myself with alcohol for anxiety.
It might have worked OK in the beginning, but then turned against me. I also found out how hard it was to stop drinking once I had to give it up.

We don't diagnose here, so I can't give you suggestions for alternative substances to make you feel better. I will however suggest that you do get diagnosis and treatment from a professional.
Doctors do know safe alternatives to booze and weed, but you have to follow their advice.

I began with a complete physical exam to rule out any chemical/hormonal/endocrine imbalances. My blood was 'dirty' from years of using alcohol. My thinking was all wrong and mixed-up as well.
I was referred to a therapist that prescribed anti-anxiety and antidepressant meds that took awhile to build up effectiveness, but worked well once the correct class and dosage was established. The same med treated both the anxiety and the depression.
The meds also take awhile to leave the body. There is no 'instant gratification' from suddenly taking more meds, so I stuck with the treatment plan. Slowly I got better. I went to AA/NA meetings to find strength and see how other recovering folks did it.
Weed made me paranoid and delusional towards the end. Maybe that was the 'high' that I felt?

The therapist said that they would pull the meds and treatment if I were to relapse, so I had to continue my recovery and do what I was told to. Mixing meds, pot and booze is a no-no. Some friends that I went through detox and rehab with disappeared from therapy due to relapsing.
This was pretty much my last chance at recovery, so I had to make it work this time. I was able to finally make peace with my demons and my past traumas and recover.
I hope that you can find someone to work with and find your path. One day at a time.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Depressive Disorder NOS

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post