Our partner

I hear voices in my head

Depressive Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I hear voices in my head

Postby nadiicruz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Okay guys, so I've been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety and I don't know if this is normal. I hear these voices in my head but instead of it being a voice it's an entity. It can get very harsh, when I was little I spent an entire summer with the thought, "I don't want to go to hell" in my mind. Except it didn't come and go. It never stopped, from my very waking moment the thought would enter my mind and get faster and faster without stopping for a single second until I finally went back to sleep. I have the regular voices that do the same things but with hours or days instead of months. I'm really scared of having the extremely long periods of this one crazy non stop phrase because I can't do a single thing but worry if this is some sort of punishment. I also have the regular intrusive thoughts but those don't compare to these.
nadiicruz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I hear voices in my head

Postby shock_the_monkey » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:06 pm

what you're saying here is a little hazy. there's a big difference between hearing discarnate voices and hearing repetitive thoughts. however, as you seem to focus more on the latter, that's what i'll go for here.

i had an extremely severe episode of depression and anxiety about 12 years ago now. so bad that i used to get electric shocks running thorough my body. and i ended up with tinnitus. and one of the things that i also had was repetitive thoughts that i could hear. now, the tinnitus is due to extremely low levels of serotonin. and so too, i suspect, was the repetitive thoughts. and, as i'm sure you're aware, low levels of serotonin are a symptom of depression.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:25 am

Postby Snaga » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Interesting, Shock. I've always been aware of some tinnitus, nearly as far back as I can remember, although it took a different tone/form than it does now.

Sometimes it's worse than others, and if I'm extra-stressful and down, it does seem to be louder. Sometimes loud enough that I have to be careful not to let myself think about it, lest I get frantic for it to go away. I've always suspected it's related to anxiety somehow, but didn't know about serotonin, depression, and tinnitus. Explains a lot.

Not to get OT for the OP, but I'd like to know more about what those electric shocks felt like. I don't think I do that, but I do get 'twitchy' in my muscles all over, sometimes.

I'm trying to think if I've ever had thoughts like that, nadllcruz. I don't think I've ever quite done that, although I have had obsessive thoughts over the years, including religious fears, such as committing the Unforgivable Sin, being demoniacally possessed, etc. I do get themes that don't seem to leave my head for days or weeks at a time, but they're not necessarily 'audible' thoughts saying things to me. I'm susceptible to earworms, that can get quite maddening sometimes. Sometimes my thoughts will be racing when I try to compose myself for sleep, and even the otc substances I probably shouldn't be mixing, won't quite always turn them off- usually, thank God. But not always.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:25 pm

Postby BelleCat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Nothing will change with worrying.You will only stress yourself out if you worry too much.I don't know what is your religion or how religious are you,but i know its repeated in every holy book that the God is Relenting(I'm not quite sure if that's the word for it,but i mean he forgives your sins and accepts your Repent.)
If you know the fact and still your mind can not accept it,you might have OCD.
Have you tried meeting a psychologist or a therapist?
BelleCat
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:55 am

Postby shock_the_monkey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 am

Snaga wrote:Not to get OT for the OP, but I'd like to know more about what those electric shocks felt like.

... they felt like electrical discharges. they seemed to run down my spine. and they were random. i used to shake and they'd leave me in a cold sweat. they were quite scary.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:25 am

Postby Snaga » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:40 pm

shock_the_monkey wrote:
Snaga wrote:Not to get OT for the OP, but I'd like to know more about what those electric shocks felt like.

... they felt like electrical discharges. they seemed to run down my spine. and they were random. i used to shake and they'd leave me in a cold sweat. they were quite scary.

The hypochondriac in me could have a field day with that, you know... but I'll sit on my hands.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:25 pm

Return to Depressive Disorder NOS