Our partner

Is depression causing my guilt or is it the other way around

Depressive Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Is depression causing my guilt or is it the other way around

Postby rms18 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 pm

I recently stopped smoking Cannabis (about 1.5 months ago) after smoking it for 8 years from the ages of 20 to 28. All was going well until about 2 weeks ago when I remembered something from my past that gave me a MASS surge of guilt. The issue happened long before I started smoking weed and this incident was never the trigger for my starting with the weed in the first place. In the past I simply was able to accept that I made a huge error that I would regret forever and I would learn from it and move on.

How this indicent is all that I am thinking of every moment of everyday, where as previously that was not the case.

I have done all kinds of reading in regards to Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) and I just can't learn if my regret is from depression coming away from the weed or whether it is something that I have decided I really can't let go of an need to start destroying myself because of it.

I am torn between talking to people about it or simply hoping that the depression eases off and I learn to be more rational about it. It's a vicious circle that I am unsure where I stand within it.

Has anyone else ever been stuck in this cycle where they can't tell if the depression is causing my remore or my remorse is causing my depression?

Any advice would be so helpful.
rms18
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is depression causing my guilt or is it the other way around

Postby JaneBrown » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:43 am

first of all, I want to congratulate you on getting rid of this bad habit. As for depression - it can really arise from a sense of guilt from the Commission of specific "bad" acts. But apart from feeling guilty, are there any other associated depression like sleep disorders?
JaneBrown
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:37 am

Postby rms18 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi Jane sorry for the late reply. I have only just seen the response here. I have been sleeping more than usual recently (around 9 hours at a time) my mood is low and I have trouble finding interest in anything. I have this deep feeling I have let people down (my family) and I don't deserve them. I hardly ever laugh at the moment either and conversations I have seem to take effort to engage in them where as in the past I would be a very chatty person.
rms18
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:37 am

Postby Snaga » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:00 pm

This kinda sounds like the chicken and the egg. At this point. I know I've experienced a taste of this- my regrets/depression seem to get caught in a cycle. At some point I have to try and shrug the regrets off. That to me seems easier than you know, just deciding to not be depressed... yeah right that's easy isn't it. But yeah I think trying to set regret aside would be an easier thing to attempt and maybe help begin to lift the depression. I'm OCD- and us with OCD often have to make a conscious choice to stop thinking thoughts, we spend so much time obsessing.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:37 pm

Return to Depressive Disorder NOS

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post