Our partner

Depression and Dyslexia

Depressive Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Depression and Dyslexia

Postby xLilax » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Wondering if there is anyone out there who deals with depression and dyslexia. I was diagnosed with dyslexia at a very young age, and depression when I was in middle school. I came across a book, "Dyslexia and Depression: the Hidden Sorrow" by: Neil Alexander-Passe, that got me thinking about how the two are correlated. Wondering if there is anyone else out there thinking, or feeling the same??
xLilax
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Depression and Dyslexia

Postby pencilsNcigarettes » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:30 pm

I have a friend with dyslexia and while he has not been diagnosed with depression I know he is depressed and unhappy a lot of the time. He seems to get more depressed when he talks about his difficulty with reading. The stigma about dyslexia bothers him, too. A lot of people think that dyslexia makes you less intelligent and he's had a really hard time with that. (He's pretty smart, too)
We talk a lot and I'm pretty sure he has depression, even if he doesn't admit it. It makes sense that depression and dyslexia would affect each other, too. How do you cope with this?
pencilsNcigarettes
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Depression and Dyslexia

Postby Smiggles » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:40 pm

I've never been diagnosed with Dyslexia, but it's interesting how since my depression came about, there's been mild to extreme difficulty reading/writing/spelling at times. it doesn't always present itself, but I can completely butcher sentences without being aware.
*Won't be very active over the next 3 weeks*

There's no such thing as true good or true evil, its all relative to the observer.

My previous username is Corgis.
Smiggles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Depressive Disorder NOS

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post