Our partner

antidepressants and weight

Depressive Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

antidepressants and weight

Postby andend1 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:29 am

Hello,
I most probably suffer from depression for many many years but i tried to fight with it on my own but now i feel i cant go on with antidepressants. I avoid them for so long because i know they cause weight gain and i dont wanna put on at all. Do you know any antidepressants which dont effect weight or causes only weight loss for sure?

thx for answer
andend1
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: antidepressants and weight

Postby Oliveira » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:58 am

Daddy Google says:

Some antidepressants may be less likely to affect weight. Effexor and Serzone generally do not cause weight gain, while Wellbutrin can cause weight loss.

However, there is a chance those will not work for you. At the end it is your doctor who will make the decision, hopefully listening to your concerns first.
Currently working on my upcoming signature.
Oliveira
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:55 am

Postby maree12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:46 am

I have heard that taking Metformin (yes the diabetes med) can control the weight gain. However, I am on Diabex at the moment, and it does not seem to help me lose weight (which is why I chose to use it in the first place) yet I am low carbing ATM. So I can only say ask your doctor. I am rather afraid of having taken it for about 3 years that it will set me up to be a diabetic if I stop taking it. It is up to you if you want to take that risk.
maree12
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:55 pm

Postby JaneBrown » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Antidepressants regulate mood and at the same time control appetite. In particular, these changes can increase the craving for carbohydrate-rich foods such as breads, pasta and desserts.
JaneBrown
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 am

Return to Depressive Disorder NOS