Our partner

Will I ever be able to make up for lost time?

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Will I ever be able to make up for lost time?

Postby for » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 pm

I lost six years in college losing one year after another, and led me to a severe depression. This year I went back in college and am about to turn 26. WIll I ever be able to make up for lost time and reach my peers who are very successful?
for
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Will I ever be able to make up for lost time?

Postby jilkens » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:39 am

I'm going to move this to the depression forum for you.

It sounds like you feel pressured to compete with your peers. Gaining experience in life doesn't follow a linear process; some people even more backward from time to time depending on the choices they make. Going back to college might even mean that you have the wisdom to understand you need to learn more in order to achieve your goals.

I don't think you've lost 6 years. In that time you were gaining knowledge & making connections and they may serve you very well soon.

The success of others is not a negative reflection on you. You'll get there if you keep working on it and when you do, it'll be with more life experience. Try to enjoy the process.
Blame it on me, but know that I won't regret one iota.
jilkens
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby gf77 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:23 am

Having gone through uni myself, I can reassure you that you can definitely make up for lost time. However that's up to you. Get your head down, work hard, apply yourself and you will be where you want to be in no time, but only you can make that happen.

Good luck
BPD and anxiety.
Completed CBD and DBT, soon starting CAT.
Currently taking 375mg venlafaxine, 250mg depakote, 100mg seroquel, 2mg lorazepam.
Any questions just ask :)
gf77
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 am

Postby keyed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:43 pm

It depends on how you measure your worth. It's not in the years, it's the miles.
keyed
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm

Postby mbw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 am

I've "wasted" or "lost" two years of my life to mental health issues. Even now I'm trying to catch up for what I've missed. I don't think it'll help you to worry about your accomplishments and compare them to people around you, because everyone has different life experiences. I used to wish that I were as successful and capable as people I used to know, and it made me very unhappy. I frantically tried to bridge that gap between me and them by learning things and trying to live more normally and socializing and trying to find love - and I'm still doing some of those things. I find it makes me more happy to not compare myself to other people, because I tend to illuminate everything good in others and everything bad in me. By certain standards anyone could be called a failure or a success. I suggest you strive for happiness as your success.
Strange beautiful grass of green, with your majestic silver seas.
mbw
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:52 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby StephenStevens » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:18 pm

You will, just try to remain positive. Also, have in mind that college is an experience in itself. It is not only educational experience but also a life experience. As such, look forward to it and everything that you will learn through it (not only in context of new information).
StephenStevens
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 am

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post