Our partner

Citalopram (Celexa?) vs fluoxetine (Prozac)

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Citalopram (Celexa?) vs fluoxetine (Prozac)

Postby xkingx99 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:43 am

I've been going through some hard times and have been so depressed I couldnt eat.. Also recently i've spent whole days in bed instead of going to school. I havent smiled for a while and have a hard time concentrating on anything else but my problems.. I have bad social skills..

I was on prozac and was extremely happy, almost too happy. omeone told me a pill won't make you happy so I went off prozac and started trying to solve problems in my life. I stopped being so happy but did become productive in some ways. probably not as productive as when I was on.. I was doing ok untill a string of stuff happened recently..

so the doctor prescribed citalopram for me. i told him about hwo prozac worked but he gave me this instead.. im wondering if anyone has tried them both and what the differences are.. is one better for anxiety? is one stronger? im a little nervous about starting because when i went off prozac i was feeling pretty bad for a while.. i dont know if i ever recovered, i think i just got used to it. thanks!

if you want to know what im depressed about its a long story:

(Abusive cheating ex-girlfriend pregnant with my baby.. She made me think she wanted to marry me, told me she just wanted a baby and that i wasnt trapped, stopped her birth control and told me she couldnt become pregnant without months of fertility meds, became pregnant right after she stopped, was really ###$ up to me and cheated and lied constantly, made everyone think i was the bad guy, yelled at me for going home, going to the gym, or not sleeping with her for 1 night because i was feeling drained, she flirted with guys on new years, at the hospital, on my birthday. when we were fighting she made things worse and is now the victim because i formally broke up with her and not the other way around. now is being nice to keep me around. she made me think she gave me AIDS, she has made threats about making me pay child support for 18 years and having lots of fun while im so depressed, i cant figure out if i want to run away or raise the baby with her.. im really depressed because i didnt want to be a father yet but i feel like i have no choice and im broken hearted. things are supposed to be better now that we're broken up but im still hurt shes seeing other guys and making plans with them, telling them theyre sexy, and i dont have it in me to start dating again i'm too sad, plus she is still jealous and accuses me of looking at other girls when we go out. we are broken up but i am far from free. she still denys cheating and lying and is all happy and going out the bar dressed sexy.. she tells me she loves me every day but her actions have shown otherwise i think.. she left me tons of voicemails calling me names, and posted blogs about me saying messed up things.. i want to run away so bad but the thought of never seeing her again or talking to her kills me, and the thought of some other guy raising my baby with her sucks, i wouldnt want a baby with anyone else either.. its just such a bad time, she wanted it now so she could get her hystorectomy afterwards.. but instead of acting like i could leave like she said she was threatening that id have to pay her for 18 years.. now shes being nice and says i can do what i want, even if its nothing, that i dont owe her anything.. i just cant figure out what i want. right now im leaning towards raising it with her.. but its so painful knowing shes gonna be seeing other guys, and i dont really want to see other girls but am too hurt and betrayed to be with her.. i really just wanted to have fun. early on when there were problems she would tell me it's just a waste of time if it doesnt work and maybe we could be friends.. then shed tell me we couldnt be friends because it hurt too much, now its like.. i can raise it with her [painful] leave and never talk to her again, possibly pay child support [painful] theres no winning for me, and she seems to be having a great time) :cry:

I made a thread about our relationship in the histrionic section called "Analyze This".. to some people it seems so simple and not a big deal but its really complicated. im so broken hearted.. i didnt want or need to fall in love for this. she made me fall in love, ###$ it up, and is acting like she didnt do it, and now we're having a baby.. she could have just told me she wanted to see other people.. i was open to her flirting and seeing people.. instead she made me think i was the only one and made me fall deep in love. i dont know if she wanted to have the baby out of love or what.. but its so hard to make sense of things. shes so dishonest. when she says she loves me i doubt it so much but at the same time sometimes it has seemed like it. she has done good.. sometimes i have caught her in lies.. sometimes she could have kept her cheating and flirting secret but she did it right in my face a lot of times. i dont know if it was showing love by showing me her true self, or showing that she doesnt give a $#%^ about me and thinks i will take it and stay with her.. but at the end she decided to make things worse instead of better on purpose. i still dont get why she couldnt just tell me she couldnt be with one person or didnt want to be with just me. instead its all confusing
xkingx99
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:01 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi, I've never been on Prozac, but I was on Celexa but only for a very short while. I had horrible side effects with it and had to go off.

Sometimes when you are on medication it works for only so long before you either have to up the dose of the medication or switch it completely.

I was on Zoloft for 8 yrs, then went onto Celexa, then Remeron for about 6 months... then off of Remeron and onto Effexor which i'm been on for over 4 yrs now.

All medications will work differently for everyone.....

Have you done any exercise? That will get the good endorphins going, and it does help with depression.

Were you diagnosed with any sort of depression ? Or did your doctor say you were depressed, or you just know you are ?
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Postby xkingx99 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I do exercise and it helps but is kind of counter-productive when i'm trying to gain weight and can't eat. Right now I can eat though.. The doctor didnt say anything but gave me a little test to see how depressed I am and a perscription. I have been diagnosed with depression before. But this seems a little more than just that.. im in a really stressful situation which is giving me great anxiety too. She will call me or text me with an accusation or threat just to make me anxious and unable to be calm down. Then blame me for not wanting to be with her.. Last night she called me to accuse me of looking at a girl in the bar, saying im in love with my new myspace friend more than her, saying i spend all night talking to other girls, and things like that.. when i know its not true i can let it slide but she hung up on me 4 times and said a lot of ###$ up things. i wouldnt be talking to her if she wasnt pregnant with my baby..
xkingx99
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby xkingx99 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:59 pm

i took 20 mg when i woke up on an empty stomach and i feel much better.. its not a placebo im almost high just like with prozac. i feel like acting out i better make sure i dont get in trouble.. i feel like cussing people out. im gonna tear some $#%^ up now

edit: i can feel the bubblies coming on and not the good kind. im feeling a little dizzy but euphoric. i'm trembling a little. it IS similar to coming up on psilocybin. i think this will definately help me cope with my problems better than trying to without hopefully the sides go away soon.
xkingx99
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby emjo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:37 am

I've been on escitalopram, which is very closely related. When I started, it worked quickly. Initially, my response was pretty good. My dose was increased a number of times. The withdrawal effects were the worst; even forgetting a few doses would cause them. Eventually it wasn't helping me anymore. I'm on fluoxetine now; it seems to be helping. I have the opposite problem with energy, as I feel extremely tired. My psychiatrist added wellbutrin to help me focus and give me energy.
emjo
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:01 am

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post