Our partner

Questioning going back to school

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Questioning going back to school

Postby rubyrosexoxo » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:19 am

If this is in the wrong forum, let me know. Much like a lot of people, my mental health has taken a hit due to covid as of recent.

Back in 2019 I decided I wanted to get back into healthcare. I was 100% sure that this was what I wanted to do. I completed some classes in person with the remainder of the classes being online (which wasn't due to covid, that's just how the program was laid out). I started the practicum portion just a few months ago, and while it has been smooth sailing since I started, completing everything I need to complete and feeling confident for the most part in my abilities, I am getting more and more anxious and overwhelmed having to deal with the challenges of covid.

Prior to having to be in a hospital setting, I chose to only watch the news or read articles regarding covid to keep myself informed which wasn't much as I was self employed. I use to immerse myself in it way too much in the beginning to the point where I felt my mental health was suffering as a result, so I took a step back. I feel like I am back at that point again, immersed in it too much, as everyday it is a constant reminder that we are still in this pandemic with no real end in sight. Masking 40+ hours a week, multiple emails a day containing information about stats and vaccines, constant talk between staff and even patients about covid. I'm just finding it all to be a bit much. I also don't have family or friends in the place where my practicum is taking place as I had to relocate. While I've been able to Zoom, text, and talk on the phone to people, it's just not the same.

I'm nearing the end of my practicum and entire course and intend on finishing, but I'm just having trouble visualizing a future in healthcare when my anxiety continues to increase and my depression gets worse, with no real idea of when we will be able to go back to normal. Or if that is even a possibility. It's exhausting as well because I was hoping that this would get me back on my feet. I'm not in my 20s anymore, and the thought of having to start over again with something new (which I wouldn't even know where to begin) is scary.

Any advice or thoughts is appreciated. I know so many people who are mentally drained at this point.
rubyrosexoxo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Questioning going back to school

Postby Snaga » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:04 pm

I'm surprised we didn't have a sharp uptick during the worst of the Rona. Of posters to the forums in general.

Not sure how comfortable I'd feel in healthcare, myself- so take what I say with a grain of salt. For me, once the thing became known- okay we know it spreads and what it is- I haven't wasted a lot of my anxiety on the bug itself. I think a lot of entities play it up worse than it is. Cui bono? is something I'm always looking at.

For me, this is a never-ending, really bad flu season. I wash my hands more, I keep from touching my face as much as I can, and I wear a mask because it's good manners. The end. I'm probably medium to high risk for it being nasty if I get it, because I'm old and have breathing issues already- but I'm not going to hide under a rock. I mean if a person isn't middle aged or older, the recovery rate is what, 99.something percent? There's been a lot of fear-mongering. I've sat at table in restaurant directly across from folks who got diagnosed with it like 10 days later, and I didn't get it. I like my chances, and I take reasonable precautions. Hand sanitizer is my friend.

I live in a place that didn't stay completely shut down for long, and the half-measures in place are probably going to lift soon. Whether things get back to 'normal' I think depends a lot on where you live. I think some places seem to delight in never going back to 'normal', other places already have lifted all restrictions.

If the healthcare feels too anxiety-prone for you, then you have to consider something else. As far as starting all over, I'm having to think about going back to school, and I'm on the backside of 50. Lost my job and no idea what I'm going to do, I got used to actually making money for a change, and it's going to be rough as I approach 60, to find something that pays decent. But I have to do something- so I will. If... you need to change from one field to another- humans are resilient creatures, more than we often give ourselves credit for being. We will both get through this, even if we can't see how right now.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post