Our partner

How can I start looking forward to the future?

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

How can I start looking forward to the future?

Postby Roseredpinball » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:30 pm

Recently, I had a bit of an epiphany, I think. When I was a kid, I looked forward to the future. The future seemed bright, and full of possibility. Then one day, I'm not sure when exactly but sometime during adolescence I guess, I stopped looking forward to the future. The future became something unknown and bleak, and I stopped looking forward to it. As a kid, I looked forward to when I would someday be in high school. I saw TV shows with teenage protagonists and thought that high school would be like that. I thought that I would find love, date someone, and have amazing adventures with my friends. Of course I also saw the high school drama on those TV shows, but it was glamorized. I thought high school drama would be fun and exciting, a world of intrigue, but it wasn't. I got to high school and was sorely disappointed. Nobody was interested in me romantically, and all I got was crippling low self-esteem. Something similar happened with college. I wasn't as naive as I was back when I was a kid, but I guess I hoped that once I got to college it would be a fresh start and that I would make lots of friends, experiment, and grow as a person. I thought that it would be exciting, and I would become more confident, but very little changed. I just recently got my bachelor's degree, and I'm pretty much the same person I was back then. Back when I first graduated high school. And now...? Now I don't know. I'm going for my master's degree in the Fall, provided this pandemic doesn't ###$ everything up even more than it already has. It's hard to look forward to the future. To see a bright and shining future ahead of me. I'm reminded of that one song by Bowling For Soup, "High School Never Ends". What can I do? How can I break out of this depression? How can I start to look forward again?
Roseredpinball
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:29 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How can I start looking forward to the future?

Postby jaus tail » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:42 pm

even i thought high school would be fun. i literally did slow walk down the stairs in school, hoping some 'drama team' would recognize me.

i guess the future comes from the present. ask urself what subjects are you interested in? would you like to do a phd in that subject later? would u like to join the sports team of the college or the drama team?

see if you can find a couple of students from that college on social media. some seniors. perhaps you can interact with them so you get a clear idea about the college.
exhausted
jaus tail
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post