Our partner

depression and listening to "sad" music or other genres

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

depression and listening to "sad" music or other genres

Postby user03 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:48 am

i have looked into this in the past and also googled it just now and it still doesn't make sense to me or apply to me, but i was wondering what your guys opinion is on the whole research saying that people with depression tend to listen / like listening to sad music for comfort and what not, because if anything, for me, it's the opposite ( based off the "Research" i've looked at so far )

the thing is, for one, i haven't really found any topics on this in particular where people gave more personal take on their experiences on this or at least different viewpoints, they all talk about it in a very vague way or one sided, and of course google doesn't really do a good job on giving more specific cases and sources to look into what i'm trying to search. for example, what would be considered sad music, or another one i tried asking is difference between love music and sad music ( in the sense that i like love music, but not another "sad" song, yet both can be "sad" in nature, depending on the song, etc )

now back to the research part on depression and sad music, the reason why i said i feel opposite to this as someone with depression and schizotypal personality disorder is that the very things they say that make the person feel better or type of "Sad" music, happens to be the ones that make me feel dumber,more stupid, more depressed, and i never understood how people with "Depression" like it. of course, music taste regardless of whether someone has depression is one thing, but still, doesn't make logical sense. and the music i'm specifically referring to is the ones research says, slower / less intense / non upbeat music, all of which are the types of music i usually dislike and find weak and lousy.

so this thread was partly made because i just wanted to express how "depression" is not only overdiagnosed but the very definition of it is flawed and inaccurate for a lot of resources, even the criteria is too low for diagnosing, two weeks only? why not change it to 2 months, that's far more reasonable, although i've mentioned this many times elsewhere and provided details, but with this said, it would make sense why they'd confuse sadness as depression and those listening to these "sad" music aren't actually clinically depressed but rather "sad" which is different from clinical depression, besides the fact that other research has shown that those who actually have clinical depression are not really "Sad" per say, but actually flat in how they feel, in other words, life is dull, and not dull as in they're too good for it or something like the examples they give on ADHD / bipolar people being bored because they aren't challenged enough or something, but dull / flat as in a coping mechanism to distress and life being stressful and challenging, lacking reward because the person is inferior / unfavorable upbringing / living circumstances past present, not given adequate support, resources, etc.

anyways, i didn't want to over elaborate on other things, but i did want to hear what opinion you guys have on this / your take on all this.

also for reference, i have a link below on one research in particular, which was not bad in that it included subset of information for better conclusion making, but without proper critical judgement, it's just raw information. i wanted to go over this, because for the portion it mentioned more complex music, i related to that, but not for "Sad" music it seems. the study wasn't about depression, but rather on sad music. though, the findings are exactly what my points are trying to bring out, that those who like "sad" music, again, i put in quotes because there hasn't been any clear definition of what it is, and / or other types of music, subjectivity making it even more complicated, such as what would be considered "melancholic" music, but if i wanna be objective here, that of majority of those who like "sad" music are not those with clinical depression, and when i say this, i'm also talking about those type of people who may even be diagnosed with "Depression" professionally and be the type of person who likes to go alone in a dark room and watch a scary movie...

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ic_and_Why
user03
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: depression and listening to "sad" music or other genres

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:23 am

Sentimentalism and all other forms of emotional appeal sells better than anything else.
Especially sadness and self-pity.

I believe there's an evolutionary reason as to why people focus on and respond more to discontent rather than contentedness, but I can't remember why at the moment.

People who have more to lose (as well as people who are highly intelligent and those for whom the gluttony of self pity and sorrow does nothing) are less likely to try to wallow in it.

user03 wrote:type of people who may even be diagnosed with "Depression" professionally and be the type of person who likes to go alone in a dark room and watch a scary movie...

I'm not sure what opinion you've placed on this bit, but it's not an unreasonable form of emotional regulation - it can actually be an effective technique for some.
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:52 am

Postby hardtoexpress » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:08 pm

I definitely prefer listening to "sad" music when I'm depressed. If I hear upbeat stuff I feel like saying STFU. It's hard to believe in that crap when you're depressed. Sad music is comforting. Maybe it lets you more easily think about your feelings and gives a sort of release.
hardtoexpress
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Postby josaflenya » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:17 pm

I think there was a deep relationship between sad songs and depression. I also like to listen to sad music at the time of depression.
josaflenya
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Postby Wally58 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Sometimes we have to know sadness in order to experience joy. Without one perspective, the other would not exist.
I can take mournful, melancholy minor chords in music. It helps me feel emotions, remember and reprocess past despair.
I can't take country music about drinking and broken hearts. Perhaps it hits too close to my past and who I was? My wife loves country music. :?
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:52 am

Postby josaflenya » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Wally58 wrote:Sometimes we have to know sadness in order to experience joy. Without one perspective, the other would not exist.
I can take mournful, melancholy minor chords in music. It helps me feel emotions, remember and reprocess past despair.
I can't take country music about drinking and broken hearts. Perhaps it hits too close to my past and who I was? My wife loves country music. :?

Some times I break down with tears mainly when I listening to sad song lonely and try to feel the moment.
josaflenya
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post