Our partner

Normal reaction to Prozac??

Depression message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Snaga

Normal reaction to Prozac??

Postby slizzy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 am

Hello everybody!!
Just for context, I am an 18-year-old girl living in California. When I was 16 I was diagnosed with MDD and I was in therapy for about 6 months until my family's financial situation prevented me from going. I have had a few depressive episodes since then, but it's pretty off and on and I actually had a period of time last March-May that I felt the best I have ever felt. I was outgoing and felt optimistic about the future. That lasted for about a month, and then I had a really bad depressive episode and went on Prozac. Pretty much ever since then, I have felt like I am switching from being either really happy or really angry. I have read a lot about how anti-depressants make people not care about anything/ feel apathetic but it's making me care about everything more than I ever have and I just want to shop and go out and change my whole life by buying myself new clothes and makeup and dying my hair. I don't know if this is normal or if I should bring it up to someone so any information or advice you have for me will help out a lot!! I am not really complaining because I have felt very productive and not like killing myself but I also don't feel like myself.
Thank you!
slizzy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:05 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Normal reaction to Prozac??

Postby Snaga » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:49 am

When you were seeing someone did anything ever come up about bipolar? Sounds like you're swinging back and forth a bit.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:05 am

Postby slizzy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:55 am

No, Bipolar did not come up during the time I was seeing someone. It was a while ago and this wasn't really going on at the time. I did stop going because I suddenly felt a lot better and my family's financial situation was not great and they didn't think I needed it anymore. I agree with what you are saying. I am just confused on how I can go from feeling so awful to feeling so great.
slizzy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby quietgirl2538 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Welcome to Psych Forums!!! :D

I don't know if this is normal or if I should bring it up to someone so any information or advice you have for me will help out a lot!!

What you describe is something almost exactly what I went through when I was 18 years old and was nearing high school graduation. My "ups and downs" as I describe them, later, many years later, showed to be bipolar disorder type 1. Bipolar I. Doesn't mean you have it, though. If you feel comfortable sharing in the bipolar forum, you can get feedback and also read what others go through and if anything is something you can truly relate to, or nothing you relate to, at least it's something you are checking into--just for the sake of information and knowing you are taking care of yourself by telling your doctor everything you feel.

To describe how I would feel, I would feel really great, stupendous! For about a week or longer, then I'd crash and I felt no energy and I didn't care if I graduated or not. Then I'd feel great and I loved my friends and I just felt as if I loved EVERYONE! That was hypomania and mania for me. The euphoric kind. There is also hypomania and mania in the form of dysphoric type where you are irritable. I've had this too. I am 43 now, and I didn't get diagnosed until I was 39, but I've had symptoms like I shared for years, off and on. I never went in to get myself checked because I always went back to feeling normal, until...I had to go to the hospital because I became a danger to myself. I was about 31. I also took prozac at the highest dose for the depression and I ended up in a dangerous episode, called a mixed episode and well, it is something to share for another time because it's a REALLY long story.

I would recommend you mention everything you shared here to your doctor, just so all your history is looked at. That is very important, your history of any type of mood issue, even just depression by itself.

:D
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:05 am
Blog: View Blog (81)

Postby slizzy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:36 am

quietgirl2538 wrote:Welcome to Psych Forums!!! :D

I don't know if this is normal or if I should bring it up to someone so any information or advice you have for me will help out a lot!!

What you describe is something almost exactly what I went through when I was 18 years old and was nearing high school graduation. My "ups and downs" as I describe them, later, many years later, showed to be bipolar disorder type 1. Bipolar I. Doesn't mean you have it, though. If you feel comfortable sharing in the bipolar forum, you can get feedback and also read what others go through and if anything is something you can truly relate to, or nothing you relate to, at least it's something you are checking into--just for the sake of information and knowing you are taking care of yourself by telling your doctor everything you feel.

To describe how I would feel, I would feel really great, stupendous! For about a week or longer, then I'd crash and I felt no energy and I didn't care if I graduated or not. Then I'd feel great and I loved my friends and I just felt as if I loved EVERYONE! That was hypomania and mania for me. The euphoric kind. There is also hypomania and mania in the form of dysphoric type where you are irritable. I've had this too. I am 43 now, and I didn't get diagnosed until I was 39, but I've had symptoms like I shared for years, off and on. I never went in to get myself checked because I always went back to feeling normal, until...I had to go to the hospital because I became a danger to myself. I was about 31. I also took prozac at the highest dose for the depression and I ended up in a dangerous episode, called a mixed episode and well, it is something to share for another time because it's a REALLY long story.

I would recommend you mention everything you shared here to your doctor, just so all your history is looked at. That is very important, your history of any type of mood issue, even just depression by itself.

:D

I can really relate to what you said when you described what you went through. Thank you for sharing!! I had a period this summer where I had no motivation to go to college and basically all I did was sleep and go to work and I didn't want to talk to anyone or doing anything. And then I would be really talkative and wanting to go out and spend a ton of money and doing a ton of stuff. I had had periods like that before but when I started taking prozac it got worse. There is free counseling at my university so i might check that out. Thanks again.
slizzy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Alone Again » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 pm

slizzy wrote:I don't know if this is normal or if I should bring it up to someone so any information or advice you have for me will help out a lot!! I am not really complaining because I have felt very productive and not like killing myself but I also don't feel like myself.
Thank you!

Agree with other posters - sounds bipolar. I'm bipolar 1 and MDD, severe, recurrent. I'm 60 so I've been around the block a few times. I've had episodes that perfectly mirror yours ... buying clothes, coloring my hair, etc. They tend to last for a week or two and include a somewhat 'hopeful' outlook. In hindsight, they're completely unrealistic. Mostly, my bipolar manifests as angry mania. Although it doesn't happen constantly, when it does, I'm irrational and there's no talking me down.

Anyway, I was originally put on Prozac back in 1995 for severe depression. Didn't notice changes while taking it but when I came off it a sharp increase in anger was highly evident. Was put back on Prozac a few months ago. It makes me sleep but doesn't seem do anything to my mood. I realize that meds effect everyone differently. Just wanted to give my perspective.
Alone Again
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:05 am

Return to Clinical Depression Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post