Our partner

My story of understanding this symptom

Depersonalization Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

My story of understanding this symptom

Postby CS2021 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:34 pm

Depersonalization/derealization/Alice in wonderland

Hello everyone. This is a long overdue post of my story understanding derealization. February 21, 2016 was the day the I first experienced derealization. For me it appeared to be at the time out of the blue. No drugs were used and alcohol was not consumed. Followed was a 6 month period of misdiagnosis and multiple other physical and mental symptom. Finally I got the diagnosis of pure OCD and Lyme disease with multiple coinfections. Once I was properly treated for OCD and Lyme the derealization did subside. However if I have a lyme flare and or a OCD flare I can at times still experience derealization. However, a lot of the fear as been taken out of it for me. For the existential OCD I experienced and still do experience at times I work with a OCD Therpist trained in exposure and response prevent (ERP) it is the gold standard In treating OCD. A example of this type of therapy is I am afraid of Derealization so we try and do work to intentionally simulate the sensation of it. To expose myself to it. In regards to the thoughts if I have thoughts about not being real. I listen to a recording of my self saying it over and over agin or watch a movie like inception. The point is to intentionally bring your anxiety up and then sit in the anxiety and feel it. So these sensations and thoughts no longer “feel real” or provoke anxiety. My symptoms are caused by Lyme disease. Yes, I am treating the Lyme, however, I still need to treat the symptoms caused by the Lyme disease. I know this illness sucks but it does get better. Everything in life has its highs and lows. It took about a year after I first started showing symptoms but I was able to get my life back finish my bachelors degree and was accepted to medical school.
CS2021
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: My story of understanding this symptom

Postby Snaga » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Hello, and welcome!

Glad to hear a good story, especially with the ERP. Sorry to hear about the Lyme, it's my understanding that's a nasty thing to have and is a pernicious bug to battle, yes? Do the think the derealization was directly caused by the Lyme as something physical about the disease, or something peripheral?

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 pm

Postby CS2021 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:36 pm

I’m glad i was able to provide some reassurance! Lyme is very complicated to diagnosis and treat sadly. Due to the fact that I was not diagnosised early it will be something I will have to be aware of moving forward.
Myself, my lyme Doctor (LLMD), and my psychiatrist all believe that my lyme caused the derealization, and the exacerbation of my anxiety and OCD. For me they are all connected. Usually one of these symptoms are brought on by a lyme flare and my fear of one symptom will usually bring on the others. However, with proper treatment the symptoms are much more manageable and less scary.
CS2021
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Postby Snaga » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:43 am

That's good to hear- I know someone who has Lyme- I wonder if they struggle with this, as well.

I usually find myself with at least one tick every season, oftentimes a few- so far I suppose I've been fortunate.

Tell someone today you love them, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 pm

Return to Depersonalization Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post