Our partner

I dont know if this is the right place; What is this coping

Depersonalization Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I dont know if this is the right place; What is this coping

Postby crowchure » Mon May 11, 2020 3:57 pm

I know someone whose coping mechanism is to pretend to be someone else entirely. They will pretend theyre a fictional character and act out scenarios in their head. The coping mechanism became just a daily habit of theirs but I know when they're really upset or having a breakdown theyll pretend their character is crying instead and it calms them. They told me before they sleep at night they will lie there and just act out these scenes in their head as ALL of these different characters. Like roleplaying but with themselves I guess? They said its all mental and they dont physically act any of it out. But I know they also insert people in their lives who are caring and loving to cope with the feeling they feel is missing? Anyone smart in psychology know what this is? JUST TO CLARIFY They dont think they are these people they just pretend to be ... I know DID is where you genuinely believe youre someone else if im not mistaken? But with them they dont thinik theyre actually these people they just pretend to be actively.
crowchure
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I dont know if this is the right place; What is this coping

Postby Johnny-Jack » Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm

It sounds as if this person has used their imagination in a specific way to self-soothe rather than a dissociative disorder, but that's just based on what you're describing, which comes from what they're describing. If there's a special term for this, I don't know it.
Forum rules

Dx = DID. My blog. My personal Periodic Table of alters.
Ab Ad Al Am An Ar As Ba Be Br Ca Cb Ch Cl Cm Cn Co Cp Ct Cu Cv D Eb Ed Er Es F Fl Ga Gd Go Gr Gw He Hk Hs Ht I J Jh Jk Jn Jy Ke Ki Kn Ky Li Lu Md Mi Mt Mx Mz Ne Ni O Pe Pi Q Ra Rd Ry Sc Se Sh Sk Sx Tk Ty U V Wa Wi X Y Ze Zn
Johnny-Jack
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:50 am
Blog: View Blog (45)

Return to Depersonalization Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post