Our partner

What is happening to me?

Depersonalization Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What is happening to me?

Postby kiki772 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:35 am

(i dont know where to post this, so i guess ill post it here since i consider myself a survivor of trauma?)

recently something really strange has been happening to me: whenever somebody starts talking to me, it takes my brain a while to register what the words mean? like i know that they are saying something and i hear that they are saying something, its just i dont "understand" it so i have had to ask people to repeat what theyre saying to me and everyone is getting annoyed with that.

another thing is that when i see someone i know, it also takes a while for my brain to realize that they are someone i know? like i can see them and everything but its almost that the message from my eyes to my brain gets delayed or something?

and this has been feeling really scary to me which is why i havent told my psychiatrist.

if anybody knows what this is please please help.
kiki772
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What is happening to me?

Postby Amythyst » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi kiki772,

That delay thing with understanding words, could be from a few things. I know it can be from dissociation, like depersonalization / derealization. It can also be from an auditory disorder, like capd "central auditory processing disorder", which is different from a hearing problem. Like basically that's when the ears work fine but the brain has to work harder to figure out what the sounds/words mean.

The other thing you mentioned, about taking a while to realize if you know someone, that too can be from dissociation, and can also be from another neurological disorder, faceblindness (aka prosopagnosia).

I know about capd and prosopagnosia cos our former host had pa and there's a lot of overlap between pa and capd so she learned about capd from the pa folks.

Anyways, what I'd suggest is, you should really discuss this stuff with your psychiatrist, or another doctor type, because there's tests and stuff they can do to rule out any medical problems and maybe narrow down what's going on.

If you personally suspect it's dissociation stuff, you could also try some online tests. There's the DES which is a 'screening tool', like it won't diagnose anything but it will tell you if your score suggests possible dissociation stuff.

There's a couple online tests you can take at the bottom of this page:
https://support.pods-online.org.uk/screening-tools

Good luck.

V2
Cindy(? f); Em(22f); Melissa(7f); Viola(17f); everyone else is currently lost in the fog :(
Dx: DID; previously depression, bipolar.(New) Journey ThreadThe Team
Amythyst
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Re: What is happening to me?

Postby kiki772 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:08 pm

thank you so much

VioletFlux wrote:Hi kiki772,

That delay thing with understanding words, could be from a few things. I know it can be from dissociation, like depersonalization / derealization. It can also be from an auditory disorder, like capd "central auditory processing disorder", which is different from a hearing problem. Like basically that's when the ears work fine but the brain has to work harder to figure out what the sounds/words mean.

The other thing you mentioned, about taking a while to realize if you know someone, that too can be from dissociation, and can also be from another neurological disorder, faceblindness (aka prosopagnosia).

I know about capd and prosopagnosia cos our former host had pa and there's a lot of overlap between pa and capd so she learned about capd from the pa folks.

Anyways, what I'd suggest is, you should really discuss this stuff with your psychiatrist, or another doctor type, because there's tests and stuff they can do to rule out any medical problems and maybe narrow down what's going on.

If you personally suspect it's dissociation stuff, you could also try some online tests. There's the DES which is a 'screening tool', like it won't diagnose anything but it will tell you if your score suggests possible dissociation stuff.

There's a couple online tests you can take at the bottom of this page:
https://support.pods-online.org.uk/screening-tools

Good luck.

V2
kiki772
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:39 pm

Return to Depersonalization Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies