Our partner

Worried that I might have Sporadic CJD, Premature Dementia

Dementia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Worried that I might have Sporadic CJD, Premature Dementia

Postby LiamLynch » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Hello, sorry to be a bother, but something has bothered me lately. Recently, I read up on the condition called "Sporadic CJD", and what was worrying is that although I am not at risk, I am 22 years of age, Sporadic CJD occurs completely at random and one of the symptoms includes memory loss. There have been times where I have been forgetful, for example, I sometimes forget that I have put my USB Flash Drive into my laptop bag in college (happening since January 2015), and recently I completely forgot to get an important letter from my college. I also browse the collapse subreddit and have become convinced that society may collapse soon.

Perhaps my frequent browsing of the collapse subreddit on reddit is causing my memory troubles? Regardless, I am worried about the potential that I have CJD as I am worried about slowly wasting away and I am not sure about what is going to happen over the next couple of weeks. Is there any advice that can be offered?
LiamLynch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Worried that I might have Sporadic CJD, Premature Dementia

Postby Ada » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:02 pm

Stress can cause memory loss too. And I'd guess you have no shortage of that. From the obvious ones around college and classwork. To looking at the bigger picture of what would be involved in society collapsing. I do think that avoiding that subreddit for a while might be helpful. I don't think there's much good to come out of reading it. In that a collapse affects everything. There's little or no meaningful planning that can be done. Whereas there are a huge number of influences supporting stability.

I'd also consider checking in with a doctor. To see if there might be some other cause for the issues. I don't think occasional memory lapses are a problem. Forgetfulness is pretty "normal" for most people from time to time. So it could be that you're just more sensitive to the issue at the moment. But worth checking, in case something's off with your nutrition, rest or work / fun balance.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am
Blog: View Blog (35)

Return to Dementia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post