Our partner

Delusional disorder on Dr. Phil show (Feb 21 2020)

Delusional Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Delusional disorder on Dr. Phil show (Feb 21 2020)

Postby Alexicon » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:44 pm

On Friday, the show's guest was a woman who accused her father of sexually assaulting her when she was a teen and videotaping the incident. Years later, she was now accusing her brother-in-law (her sister's husband) of selling the video on the dark web.

This was a family of attorneys, and they were struggling with the accusations. According to the guest, who is about 50, a few years ago, she suddenly remembered the assault, a memory which she had suppressed. Her niece said that a few years back, the woman appeared normal, and she had good relationships with her family. From listening to the woman, it sounds like her delusion grew to include her brother-in-law as a result of her "piecing things together" and "trying to figure it out". I gritted my teeth. My DD relative frequently uses those phrases.

At the end of the episode, Dr. Phil announced that he believed the woman has a delusional disorder, specifically the persecutory type. (I was surprised, because I had seen two other episodes where a guest appeared to have DD, and he blamed their beliefs on mold in their home.) He offered her help from a company that offers treatment. I didn't catch the name of the company, but one or two reps appeared briefly on the show to say that they thought they could improve her condition with treatment.

I understood the family's frustration as they described the woman's behavior. But I felt that Dr. Phil was being exploitative when he yelled at the woman for not bringing evidence of her claims. The audience applauded in response to his yelling, while the camera showed the woman looking sad. He could have edited out those few seconds before the show aired. He should know that shaming someone isn't going to provide the safe environment that the victim needs for trusting people.

I hope that the show gives an update on this family in the future. It's so rare that DD is referenced in the media.
Alexicon
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Delusional disorder on Dr. Phil show (Feb 21 2020)

Postby Wally58 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:03 pm

I take the good doctor with a grain of salt. The show is all about ratings. The more drama, the better. The applause is canned.
Call me a skeptic, but I really have to disagree with the guy most of the time. :evil:
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:51 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Delusional Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post