Our partner

Wife with extreme paranoia...

Delusional Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Wife with extreme paranoia...

Postby BlackCat5 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:26 pm

My wife was previously diagnosed with depression/anxiety (also a few bi-polar 2 diagnoses) and recently quit drinking a couple of months ago. She also stopped taking Trileptal (without asking the doctor). She hasn't been diagnosed with DD, but she seems to fit the persecutorial profile.

While she has always "felt" that people were talking about her (and I believed that was true, to a lesser degree than she thought), I attributed it to her low self-esteem.

But now, she has developed full-blown paranoia. I have "entertained" some of her concerns and searched for cameras/bugs/hacked accounts/devices, etc. She has absolutely no evidence for her allegations, except the way people "look" at her and many other irrational assumptions.

She's desperate to move, but doing so will be very detrimental to the kids and will be financially next-to-impossible. On top of that, I have little doubt that wherever we land, the same things will happen again.

To make matters worse, she's subconsciously torpedoed her work opportunities. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where her predisposition to "constructing" her reality forces her to quit.

I really don't know what to do with her. On the plus side, she still takes her Wellbutrin (and has started Trileptal again) and sees her therapist weekly. But I'm afraid that changing will be too difficult for her and we'll be stuck with this.

How am I supposed to handle her? Do I just indulge her paranoid fantasies? If I don't she gets extremely upset and says, "They all want you to believe I'm crazy. They're counting on it." If I do, then I'm just pushing her further away from reality. Please help.
BlackCat5
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Wife with extreme paranoia...

Postby eterea107 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 pm

You need to contact her psychiatrist immediately. Even if you do not have consent from her for you and her doctor to discuss her.....YOU can tell her doctor. He can’t respond but he will listen, I bet. See if he has a direct email address or direct voicemail.

Explain everything here you’ve written and you don’t know where to turn. I don’t know what else to suggest....you’d benefit from therapy yourself and the therapist may be able to direct you to local resources to help her.

Also, if she has psychosis that is bipolar 1, not bipolar 2....I’m not a doctor just speaking from informal personal experience.

-- 15 Mar 2018, 13:31 --

PS: The office won’t be able to acknowledge her as a patient. That’s why I suggest direct contact with the psychiatrist....a letter in the mail marked “confidential” addressed directly to the psychiatrist could likely work...if you can’t get voice or email.

Go see another psychiatrist if the above doesn’t go anywhere and a therapist can’t help you.

Antipsychotics can work well and some can be administered via month long injection.

My partner and I have bipolar 1 with psychosis and I’ve been on both sides of the coin, but we accompany each other to our appts, take meds, etc. I wish you the best.
103 =)
eterea107
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:11 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Wife with extreme paranoia...

Postby BlackCat5 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:45 am

Thank you very much.
BlackCat5
Consumer 0
Consumer 0