Our partner

Can't feel pain *trigger*

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

Can't feel pain *trigger*

Postby allalone004 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:04 pm

*trigger warning*

When I cut, I don't feel physical pain anymore. Doesn't matter how deep the cuts are. It doesn't bug me anymore. The blood doesn't make me cringe. I don't start crying cause I gave in. I feel nothing. Emotionless. I sit and think to myself why does society see this as wrong? This doesn't even hurt. Once I move on and do something else, I then feel the pain. Does this happen to anyone else?
"Beauty is only temporary, but your mind lasts you a lifetime." -Alicia Machado

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” -Maria Robinson
allalone004
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can't feel pain *trigger*

Postby EarlGreyDregs » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 pm

I was the same way. When I cut, I never felt any sort of pain. It was strange. I think it had to do with the fact that it was self-inflicted. If it was a wound from an external source, I'd be crying like a baby. But when it's self-inflicted... no physical pain, nothing. But after awhile, they would start to ache a little bit but nothing that significant.

As to why society sees it as wrong... I don't think they see it as a "wrong" as in, "oh smoking is bad, stop it". It's that other people realize that self-injury is an unnatural act & goes against our self-preservation instincts. Society doesn't understand the psychopathology of self-injury - & Honestly, neither do I... Self-injury has to be one of the most irrational acts that come along with any sort of mental disorder. I'm not saying we are acting irrationally, we have our reasons for doing it, but just human/instinct-wise, it's irrational & hard to understand.

I won't go on my little rant about the reasons self-injury is harmful as I'm sure you've seen my posts around. So.. I'm just gonna end this with some Super Hugs. I can relate.

- EGD.
EarlGreyDregs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:32 am
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby CrackedGirl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:33 am

I wonder if some of this is an adrenaline type reaction - I have done some terrible things to myself without pain - physical or emotional. That numbness I dont think is uncommon in self harm. And like I said I wonder if part of it is due to an adrenaline reaction. There may also be some disassociation there too possibly.

Huge hugs hon

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:32 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby maggie6max » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Even though I cut I do think its wrong. I cut so hard o have to feel the pain. It lets my emotions free. I will sometimes cut cuz I hate myself or just depressed. I findw it to be my thing my unhealthy. Coping skills. Sometimes I wantto stop cuz I cam go to far and sometimes I don't care it is what it is sometimes I wish people would stop freaking about it. It's my body..someone once took my body away and it toot me years t get. It back. Now its mine and I will do with it ahs I want

-- Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 pm --

Even though I cut I do think its wrong. I cut so hard o have to feel the pain. It lets my emotions free. I will sometimes cut cuz I hate myself or just depressed. I findw it to be my thing my unhealthy. Coping skills. Sometimes I wantto stop cuz I cam go to far and sometimes I don't care it is what it is sometimes I wish people would stop freaking about it. It's my body..someone once took my body away and it toot me years t get. It back. Now its mine and I will do with it ahs I want
maggie6max
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby flowingtears » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 pm

I feel pain to a degree, not as much as I do when an injury isn't self inflicted though. In fact, pain is what tells me when to stop - once I feel a certain degree of pain that I can't cope with, I stop cutting.
~The Official Crazy Cat Lady
flowingtears
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:32 am
Blog: View Blog (34)

Postby allalone004 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:43 am

I don't feel psychical pain even when it's not self inflicted. I think you hit the nail on the head with the whole disassociation thing, Cracked. That is something I've found I do a lot; I guess as a coping mechanism. Thanks all for your input and time
"Beauty is only temporary, but your mind lasts you a lifetime." -Alicia Machado

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” -Maria Robinson
allalone004
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CrackedGirl » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 am

Huge hugs hon

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand