Our partner

Teens, how did your parents react?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

Teens, how did your parents react?

Postby losinghope » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm fifteen and my parents just recently found out I've been cutting for two years. My mom is rabidly controlling and forced it out of me when she found evidence and I was scared to tell her because she looked so angry (she told me she didn't know what she was angry at, but it wasn't me). She thinks that she can force me to feel better and control how I feel and fix all my problems for me. Anybody else's parents know? Did you tell them voluntarily?
losinghope
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Teens, how did your parents react?

Postby jasmin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Losinghope, I'm sorry that your parents, especially your mom, are reacting that way. It's not fair to you. You deserve to be treated with kindness, compassion and support. Does the fact that she's so overbearing make you feel even more tempted to cut?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Mavet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Well... My mum demanded to know what I was using, and I refused to tell her. She ended up telling my T...

Well, recently I relapsed and she found out, so EVERYTHING sharp in the house is locked away. I have to ask to shave. If I go out, I get "checked" when I come home. If I mess up, I'm in biiiiig trouble. Again. She wasn't angry, just... upset. Dad was, yeah, angry, and thinks I'm out of my mind.
We're all mad here.
Mavet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:16 pm

Postby EarlGreyDregs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm

My mother was extremely upset. She demanded all these triggering questions at me.

We went to the mall the other day. There was a fountain with the water dyed red for support of Women's Heart Health. She told me not to look at it or get any ideas.

By the way, I'm no longer a teen, but my mother found out about it when I was.

- Monroe.
EarlGreyDregs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Howlin Mad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 pm

I was 11 and it was my school that called home, and my mother reacted in anger and violence. I suppose she was upset, she just had a bad way of showing it. Then the next day, it was like nothing had happened. My father completely refused to get involved at all, he called me a freak and that was it. But he does that normally.
Then the same thing happened when I was 13, and again, anger, violence, but this time she was insistant that I was doing it to make her angry. Next day, nothing had happened.
I had to beg my college tutors to not call home. (I was 17, so they still had the right to call my parents)

H.M.
Howlin Mad
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby breathe.me.in » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:34 pm

My dad found out because he walked in on me. He saw the blade in my hand. He brought me into his room and said, "You can just kill yourself, I don't care. You're a lost cause anyway." Needless to say, I cried. He found out when I was 16. I was already doing it for a few years. My mom didn't find until I was 18.
Major Depressive Disorder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Et lux in tenebris lucet
[And the light shines in the darkness]...
breathe.me.in
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby EarlGreyDregs » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry that happened to you! ^ I hope to God that you don't believe him, you are NOT lost cause. You are special and complex human being and obviously suffering some hard emotions to be a cutter.

If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to PM me.
EarlGreyDregs
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby breathe.me.in » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:06 pm

Thank you very much Monroe. I really appreciate that.
Major Depressive Disorder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Et lux in tenebris lucet
[And the light shines in the darkness]...
breathe.me.in
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby xXvampiregirlXx » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 am

well..i started cutting when i was really depressed.thing was,i did my absolute best to keep my depression from my family (it really wouldnt have helped if they knew) it got to a point that i felt that i NEEDED to tell somebody for my lifes sake.
my cutting was getting worse.the more i did it,the more i feld i had to do it,i just liked the pain and seeing myself bleed.
i live with my nana,and she was not the right person to tell at all.i just couldnt.so i rang my mum because she had noticed how sad i really was and i told her what was wrong and what i was doing.it was hard,and she got soo upset over it because she used to when she was younger and almost killed herself.
i begged her not to tell my nana but she did behind my back even though she promised me she wouldnt.nana did not react well at all.shes depressed herself.she started going on at me about how everything else in her life was $#%^ and that now i was ######6 up too..i was such a disapointment and i really thought she hated me.she related eveything to my mother and it made me feel like i was the worst person in the world.
at first she didnt even confront me with it,she just came into the bathroom just before i was about to get in the shower and stared at me..looked me up and down while i was trying to hide myself (coz i was naked) she looked me over, searching me for any marks (i dont know if she saw anything) and left without saying a word about it..
after that it was all..everyday checks and if i had any signs of new marks id be in huge trouble and giant arguments would start.aparently i even had her partner looking through my phone and my texts,trying to get details.
i didnt think that me punishing myself would result in her wanting to punish me..it changed,slightly.then she was all tryna be helpful and supportive which was worse because i just got heaps of questions fired at me and if i didnt know how to answer them (most were very triggering) then id just get told how much i was shutting her out and that i was just doing it to be cool or whatever (very untrue)
but i dont cut anymore..its really good.only downside to that is that since then my trich has gotten worse
sometimes things dont work out the way we planned, to live is just to fall asleep, to die is to awake
xXvampiregirlXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 am

Postby Corruption » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:38 am

I was 16 and had been at it for 3-4 years before anything happened. Results were lackluster; "what did I do wrong" blahblah from mom and anger and resentment from dad. I was petrified they'd send me to a psych, but they didn't, and now I kind of hold that against them (I'm 22 at the moment). At least back then I would have had insurance to cover treatment. I can't afford it now.

Nothing really happened because of it. Dad found out a year or so later that I'd just moved it to my ankles and he threatened to send me off to Catholic brainwashing inpatient care, but nothing ever came of that.

That said, I haven't lived with parents since just after turning 16, so they didn't really have a lot of exposure to it.
Corruption
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:16 pm

Next

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post