Our partner

Teens, how did your parents react?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

Re: Teens, how did your parents react?

Postby starfish236 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:36 am

I only started cutting about a month ago - I'm 16. Tonight, my sister saw my scars at dance, and then my mom and dad at dinner. My mom came into my room and asked to see my wrist. I told her no, tried to laugh it off, asking why she was so worried. When I finally had to show her, I told her that they were part of the aftermath of me falling out a tree (which actually did happen). She didn't believe me at first, because she came back into my room crying half an hour later. So we had a chat and I comforted her, but still didn't tell her what the scratches were really from. But seeing the way my mom reacted makes me scared. I'm scared that I scared her, and I can't imagine how many of my friends saw. I feel terrible about frightening them, but I know I'm getting better. I'm gonna try to stop cutting while I'm only a month in. I guess I've realized that even if I'm scared about my future (or lack thereof), or if I'm feeling depressed, people really do care about me. And I'm so lucky to have such amazing people in my life.
starfish236
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby TwinkleStar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:32 am

I am not a teen anymore, but when my mom discovered I was maybe 13, at least when she showed reaction (now I think she must have seen it much much earlier), anyway.
She discovered obviously selfmade c*** and she reacted like somehow shocked, maybe because of the place of the c***. She asked in a loud voice did you do that and I said no!!! She said if I every see it again you need to go to psychiatry! All the situation maybe lasted less than 30s. That was it no more word ever. In that age I was so afraid even of the word psychiatry that I could keep self harm more under control for a time or I did it to look more like accidentle wounds..I have absolutely no memory about the time when I started doing it again and so on, everything is foggy...
TwinkleStar
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:30 am

Postby chikondi » Tue May 29, 2018 10:35 pm

i started self harming because my best friend did when I was 11 and i stole her safety pin and cut with that. then i mastered the art of taking the blade out of sharpeners, and started doing it more often. one day because my mum gave me my clothes instead of me picking them, she gave me a short sleeved top and a hoodie. then she told me to take it off and i refused and went to get my phone, and when i came back she told me to show her my arms, so i did. she didnt understand. my dad wanted to kill me metaphorically, and my mum thought i could stop whenever i wanted. i had all types of self harm scars and cuts. burning, severe scratching, cutting, etc. my sisters cut and they dropped out of school and are now living crap lives, so my parents threatened to take me to a foster home and to kick me out when i was old enough. nobody could so much as mention harm, self harm, blades, burning, cutting without it being awkward.
chikondi
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:30 am

Postby gamersbyte » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:55 am

Not a teen anymore. However, when I went to therapy again for depression at 15ish, my mom was there with me during intake and I disclosed that I did self harm. She went outside to smoke and I have a feeling she cried, but came back in acting like she didn't. Yeah, it bothers me when I think about it. But it's better than her being angry or whatever.
gamersbyte
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ArchCannon » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:27 am

My father noticed injuries one morning as I was sleeping when entering my room to borrow my laptop.

For the next three or four days, he'd ask me about it quite aggressively - jarring and yelling included. But I kept refusing to talk about it. Then he let the topic go, as if he forgot about the matter altogether. And then he came back to being absent - both emotionally and physically.

My mother - I told her myself, I felt like it would only be fair if both of my parents knew, not just one.
She gave a short speech of how she still loves me and how he suspected for some time. Then she went back to her usual self. Full of neglect and contempt.

All in all, nothing changed.
They have something to believe in, and that is all they need.
It's not that much. But it's also everything.
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:30 am

Postby planetearthII » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:23 pm

My parents. Well, uh. I can't really remember much, but...
I told my mother when I broke down and confessed in front of her. She took me into her office. I was crying so hard it hurt. She asked me why I did it. I said I hated myself. She asked me why. To me it sounded stupid, but I listed all the reasons why. She said those were silly reasons. I said I knew. She kept asking me why I hated myself and why I did it, and I just kept saying, I don't know, I don't know. None of this was in a kind or reassuring way. She sounded like she was angry at me, which made me feel even worse. She eventually began to yell at me, and sounding so disappointed... and I was just thinking how she was basically doing the opposite of what I hoped she'd do. I hoped she would acknowledge it, and do something about it and make me feel better because I just couldn't be happy. I don't think she even said anything to my father, she's the type of parent that shelters her child from anything and everything in the world and still punishes me for being curious. Anyway, she cast me out of her office in seemed disgust, to which I felt low. Very low, if you know what I mean. To this day I wish I'd never told her.
- Two
planetearthII
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:30 am

Postby Cartoongirl1 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:18 pm

This was his recent attack. So I was feeling #######5 and I was talking to my dad that no one liked me at school and how it feels to be lonely. So usually when I have these thoughts in my head I get depressed and then I go and cut. Which I did, so I just went into my room and cut myself. I felt better afterwards, so then I go down stairs and my dad asked "why do you have your hoodie on?" I said "because its chilly." Then he asked to lift up my sleeve. That's when I looked at his face and he went from happy to "I'm going to kill you" so then he got his belt out and beat the ever loving $#%^ out of me then he put me in a seat and yelled on the too of his lungs "why would you do this?" And I said "I dont know" I clam up and have anxiety attacks when my dad gets angry at me from all the years of going through this. Then he shook my chair violently and screamed "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DONT KNOW?" this is the part were it brought me nothing but hatred towards my dad. He called my little brother up to see my cuts he was 11 at the time. And I asked him why he would do this? He just stared st me and said "it's what you deserve" just thinking about it makes me cry
Cartoongirl1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 pm

So how are things now for you, cartoon girl?

Life is short- make of it what you can, while you can.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:30 pm

Postby JackDoe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:52 pm

I was caught a day later, she was angry and told me i was precious. I didn't care at the time.
JackDoe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Previous

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post