Our partner

Teens, how did your parents react?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

Re: Teens, how did your parents react?

Postby Cats are Gods » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:19 am

I started cutting myself in sixth grade. I'm in tenth grade now and my parents barely found out six months ago. One day my mom noticed a pretty bad cut on my arm when I was wearing short sleeves and she freaked out and asked me if I was cutting myself in front of my entire family. I can keep a straight face really well and I kept telling her that I wasn't and how ridiculous she sounded. Later on that day I asked her if I could talk to her privately in my room and that's when I told her. She was understanding and sympathetic when I told her. She asked why I did it and I told her that it just made me feel better.
Cats are Gods
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby ABCSKW123 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:26 pm

I only ever cut myself once. Just once, because I let my anger run off with me. I only ever planned to make one cut. I didn't even know I'd had the guts for it.
Next day in school(only a couple days ago), *mod edit* Someone caught me, and she told the counselor. She called my parents and told them.
When I got home, I was NERVOUS. Sweating the gallons.
My parents weren't mad. However, they were definitely upset. They talked with me (not in a very sweet way, but still not angry.) They were like, Why would you do this?
So, yeah.
I only did it once, and I'm never doing it again.
Last edited by seabreezeblue on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: graphic/triggering details removed..
ABCSKW123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Postby lilyfairy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 am

Hi there, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time and that you cut.

I know you mentioned seeing the counsellor at school, but have you ever thought about talking more with someone about needing to self harm?

Hoping this finds you safe- take good care
Lily
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.

Currently away- please contact another mod if you need help.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:24 pm

Postby Jade708 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:28 pm

after 4 years... they still don't have a clue...
yeah... I'm a manipulator... only a teacher saw it... I told him it was an accident... he believed it...
Jade708
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 am

Postby himynameishi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:29 am

I have been cutting for around a year now, about 2 months ago I found out that my best friend did. About 2 weeks ago her mum found out, somehow her mum found out I did. My friends parents came to my house and told my parents about it.

They ran into my room and demanded to see my wrists and legs. When I refused to show then they wrestled me down and held me to the ground, making all my cuts bleed everywhere. They were quite understanding and took me to see a doctor.

Since then I have cut more, about 5 times. My mum saw some new ones and slapped me and grounded me. She calls me 'stupid' and 'pathetic' for it.I have seen a psychologist who I told somethings about it, she told my parents that I should be ungrounded because it's stupid to punish me for feeling like this.

I did once more after this apointment which was about 4 days ago. When my mum saw them she slapped me in the face really hard. She demanded me to show her what I did it with or she would tell my brothers friend (who was at my house) to tell everyone. I lied and she believed it.

I don't know how to deal with this anymore. Anxiety is taking over my life. I don't even recognise myself anymore. I have like 1 real friend. I'm pretty sure she hates me. It's my birthday in 2 days and I have to go swimming. The cuts on my legs are so noticeable. Basically, I'm screwed and don't know what to do.

help?
himynameishi
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 am

Postby sometimeslost » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:06 am

It may be difficult to realize, but friends r more supportive than family when it comes to cutting/SI. I am also really sorry to hear that other people's family members chose to ignore this problem as well. I started cutting in 7th grade--I am 19 now-- and still cut today, although I wish I didn't. I know it's a really bad habit, but with the medication im taking, I figure it can't be too bad if no one knows about it but me. When uve been cutting as long as i have, u know how to hide it. When my brothers saw the cuts on my wrist and my blood they just laughed at me. My middle brother told my mom and she didn't believe him at first. When she told my father--they have been divorced for as long as I can remember-- he just yelled at me (like that's gonna make me want to stop cutting). That was in 9th grade and since then, he has not mentioned it once. People who do not SI do not understand and never will. The best solution is to talk to someone close to u or who cares. There is a reason y u SI and it is best to find that out than to just keep on cutting. I'm glad this is here. Otherwise I would have cut tonight...
sometimeslost
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:24 pm

Postby CrackedGirl » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi guys <3

himynameishi wrote:I have seen a psychologist who I told somethings about it

I am sorry to hear how much you have been struggling with things and that ppl are not more supportive of you - that is not good at all. I really, really recommend you tell the psychologist everything that is going on including the slapping and let them help you. you should not have to put up with that behaviour - slapping you like that is wrong. So please talk to the psychologist about it all - they can help you better if they know the whole story. Hugs

sometimeslost wrote:It may be difficult to realize, but friends r more supportive than family when it comes to cutting/SI. I am also really sorry to hear that other people's family members chose to ignore this problem as well. I started cutting in 7th grade--I am 19 now-- and still cut today, although I wish I didn't. I know it's a really bad habit, but with the medication im taking, I figure it can't be too bad if no one knows about it but me. When uve been cutting as long as i have, u know how to hide it. When my brothers saw the cuts on my wrist and my blood they just laughed at me. My middle brother told my mom and she didn't believe him at first. When she told my father--they have been divorced for as long as I can remember-- he just yelled at me (like that's gonna make me want to stop cutting). That was in 9th grade and since then, he has not mentioned it once. People who do not SI do not understand and never will. The best solution is to talk to someone close to u or who cares. There is a reason y u SI and it is best to find that out than to just keep on cutting. I'm glad this is here. Otherwise I would have cut tonight...

I know you know how to hide it etc but do you think it would be something you would consider to get proper help to try to stop? If you do I have some ideas but I dont want to push you for sure. just it sounds like you are a bit fed up with it all when you said in your post that you wish you didnt cut. I know it is daunting to think about stopping tho.

Hugs to you both

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:24 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby FatAssMe » Tue May 10, 2016 1:30 am

My parents' reaction was......well let's just say I had more positive ideas.

So I told my sister when she saw some scars at lunch and asked what they were. Then one day she randomly asked in the car with my dad why I cut. Needless to say, my dad was surprised at the comment. I didn't tell her why and I've never told anyone (it's too painful to talk about). But my dad knew and he just brushed it off like he didn't hear it. Then he told my mom who took my blades away (ha, like that stopped me) while I was on vacation.

Then one day, my mom just randomly decides to have an argument about my cutting in a public place!
She look at my scarred arm, scoffed, and said "are you done doing that". Naturally, I got pissed and said "As a mater of fact, no, I'm not." She never mentioned it after that.

My dad caught sight of my scars on my leg one day. He literally looked at it, rolled his eyes, scoffed in disgust and went back downstairs.

Because of their lack of support, I cut more then ever and deeper than I should and they are partly the reason why. I hate it here. I hate living and I wish they wouldn't despise me so

Sorry for the rant,

Kat
FatAssMe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby lalliiii » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:43 pm

I started cutting in 7th grade and I was in 10th grade when my mom found out. My sister and I were play fighting when she saw my cuts and didn't make a big deal out of it until we had an argument. She told my mom, in front of me to "check that crazy girls arms" and my mom grabbed my arm and saw my cuts. She began to hit me and throw insults at me saying that if i wanted to kill myself i should do it. Practically making fun of me. My sister even told my mom that she was "too scared to share a room with me." My mom stopped trusting me around my dogs and said that I probably harm them too. She called all of my sisters and told them that I was cutting myself. In fact she told everyone including her friends that I was cutting myself. My sisters would also make fun of me. After the first two days everything went back to "normal." She didn't seem concerned at all and not once asked me why I cut. My mom just, in a way, forgot about it. Everyone did. I am in 12th grade now and have just started to cut again. I was about 1 year and few months clean..
lalliiii
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby whighthart48 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:25 am

When my parents found out they sent me to a mental unit and I spent one week there but when I got home I became more carful and I am able to continue without interruption. but I did get caught by my brother, I was busy and I had forgotten to lock my door and he likes to just walk in with out nocking and he told my mom.
whighthart48
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:24 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post