Our partner

Do you remember why you self harmed?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy, weepingwillow

Do you remember why you self harmed?

Postby JackDoe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:56 am

I think i do but every time i try to remember the details become distorted. like a painful memory trying to be hidden. when i was 14 i think i did it because i wanted to have powers in my dreams. as silly as it sounds.
JackDoe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you remember why you self harmed?

Postby sarahwpen » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:25 pm

I used to sometimes forget. I think sometimes that was why I did it; I did it so I could forget about the stressors and trauma that was presently occurring in my life at the time. When I was a teen I wrote music and released pain that way sometimes. When there were hurts that I was unable to express that way, and I felt no autonomy over my situation, I did cut a few times. When I got older, I neglected my own few healthy coping mechanisms, and there came some triggering events in my life that cornered me into a very isolated place where I began cutting much more than I did as a teen. I usually did it as a way to get an adrenaline rush that would enable me to Shove all my emotions further down inside and continue the charade that was my miserable predicament.

Once I had gotten my fix and moved on from that emotional crisis, I would often wake up the next day and see the evidence on my arm and be somewhat confused at first. I sometimes wouldn’t remember doing it at all, and sometimes I just wouldn’t remember the specifics of how I’d decided to do that.
Forums you may find me in:
Relationships
Self injury

"I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star.-Friedrich Nietzsche
sarahwpen
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Postby Snaga » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:02 am

I don't remember the initial times I self-harmed, as either a teen, or a young adult.

Later in life, I remember quite well when I resumed self-harm, and why. I behaved, as CS Lewis might have put it, 'quite shabbily' about something, and the resulting angst/remorse, drove me over the edge. After that, it quickly became a way of dealing with wider anxiety spikes, until I had to wean myself off it (I was starting to attract unwanted attention).

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby lilyfairy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:39 am

I haven't posted here in a while. It's been a bit triggery for me.

First time was because I just needed to hurt. Make what I was feeling real and not all in my head.

Since then it's been more out of being self destructive. I'd do more/worse because I felt I had to "compete" with other people around me- at one time I was involved in something of a group therapy situation which included three other young women same age as me who also harmed. The support/understanding was great, but feeling the unspoken need to out-do someone else was really not healthy. Or because I couldn't communicate that I was doing badly/worse than usual. I'd also do it while dissociated to try to feel something, which I would momentarily, but then I'd dissociate the pain I'd caused too, so it didn't really achieve anything anyhow.

I am not an attention seeking person, but I would sometimes harm the night before therapy or Dr's appts- I think again because I couldn't otherwise communicate where my head was at. How much I'd harmed was an indicator.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 am

Postby Snaga » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:31 pm

lilyfairy wrote:I am not an attention seeking person

I used to be in some ways, but never that.

I know a fellow who has his own issues (including anger management) and he's also in the periphery of the medical field (a first responder of sorts) and he's a gigantic know-it-all. Over at my house one time and he insisted- insisted- that all self-harm is attention seeking. And I had to stand there and listen to his drivel. At the time I was at my greatest peak of SH- I was in the habit of doing light burns with a heated tool- they gave the appearance of scratches- lots of scratches... and had them all over the backs of my legs at the time- and I was wearing shorts because I'm just so not the popular stereotype of who would SH, and so impudently thought I would go unnoticed- I did not, and that, more than anything else, was why I made myself stop. But that's a tangent. Back to my guest. All about attention (he himself is very much the type that likes to be paid attention to)... and I had to keep my tongue in my mouth. I had this self-destructive urge to point at my legs and say Oh Yeah??? I did THIS!

Which of course would have completely proved his point....

Never for attention- attention, is what made me stop. But I definitely understand the wanting to wear them as a... hair shirt? Sackcloth and ashes? To show the inner angst and self-torment. To express without words, that torment inside my head. Yet, paradoxically, not wanting the people that knew me, to see it. It's like want to show it- but only to people that understand?

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby lilyfairy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:47 am

Snaga wrote:Never for attention- attention, is what made me stop. But I definitely understand the wanting to wear them as a... hair shirt? Sackcloth and ashes? To show the inner angst and self-torment. To express without words, that torment inside my head. Yet, paradoxically, not wanting the people that knew me, to see it. It's like want to show it- but only to people that understand?
Attention from people who I didn't want to see it made me take to harming in less obvious places. It was hidden under clothes and I'd only disclose or show them to a certain one or two people I trusted and who wouldn't judge.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:00 am

Postby Snaga » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:37 pm

Yeah I didn't know anyone who wouldn't judge. But for a while I was able to get away with it with lame explanations- because I don't fit the expected demographic.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post