Our partner

Smoking cigarettes as SH?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

Smoking cigarettes as SH?

Postby ArchCannon » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:32 pm

More and more studies come out saying how bad for your health cigarettes. At the same time less and less smokers there are overall.
Thing is, the more aware I am of this, the more I want to smoke.

In many ways, it's comfortable. It doesn't leave any immediate marks, isn't as scary and anxiety-inducing when you actually are about to do it, and doesn't destroy me in the moment when i'm here and young and still have some use out of my life. It'll catch up when I'm older and useless anyway, presumably. Heck, nothing's stopping me from going for it several times a day, everyday.

But most of all it doesn't attract undesirable attention, goes unnoticed and is commonly/widely accepted.

There are obviously downsides, too. It adds up to be kind of expensive. Don't get me wrong, I often like to see the lasting scars. It is far more destrustive than cutting in the long run (which on the flipside is one of the reasons I'm drawn to it). I noticed some kind of vulnerability, single cigarette can sometimes cause momentary blackout/collapse, dunno why.

On a similiar note, I've also been drawn to binge drinking, but it was more of an escape than release.

But anyways, let's get to the point. Have you ever considered looking at smoking as a self harm behavior? Or at least a coping tactic at large? Did you or someone you know has ever used it as such? Why/Why not?
They have something to believe in, and that is all they need.
It's not that much. But it's also everything.
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Smoking cigarettes as SH?

Postby Wally58 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:56 am

I drank alcoholically to the point of early-stage digestive organ damage. After my body functions began suffering (enlarged liver), bouts of pancreatitis and malabsorption, I figured that I really didn't want to die (slowly, horribly) this way.
It hurt too much and besides, I'm a coward. :mrgreen:
I tried recovery one more time (my last chance?) in earnest and was successful. My body was resillent enough where my health returned.
This was 30 years ago. I look back on it as a moment of epiphany and a lifetime of blessings.
I have watched smoking kill people too. They can't catch their breath at the end.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Postby Aeva117 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:17 am

I don't know if I would say SH, but I could be convinced classify it as self-destructive.

Personally, I see smoking more as a symptom of my poor impulse control and difficulty caring about consequences.
Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) all grown up
Aeva117
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Postby Wally58 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 am

I would say that impulse-control and caring about the consequences is all a moot point when one has Substance Abuse or Chemical Addiction issues.

We all know that these things are bad for us. Use may start out innocently enough thinking that we can control it or stop anytime we want to. Then the addiction takes over and we can't stop. We may substitute or change addictions, hopefully to less harmful addictions. Sometimes we can't (or won't).

Recovery is a process for those that 'want' to recover, not necessarily for those that 'need' to recover. Finding a way out of the predicament is essential.

My wife has tried hypnotism, pills, patches, candy, vapes, 12-step and therapy programs, etc. Nothing has worked so far. She can only try again when she is ready. I can only encourage her to keep trying without nagging her. She schedules her day for her next cigarette and is in denial about how much she chain smokes.
She may die from this and it's not a nice way to go.

One day at a time. :|
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58

Local time: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:48 pm

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post