Our partner

Self harming at 6 years old...

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

Self harming at 6 years old...

Postby Manners73 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:23 pm

What would make a child of 6 cut themselves with a razor?
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Self harming at 6 years old...

Postby Wally58 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:29 pm

You are sure that the injury wasn't accidental? Can the child explain how it happened?
If it was intentional, they may be ashamed to say so.
I had a little OCD about "symmetry" when growing up. When I hurt one side of my body, I would want to inflict equal injury on the other side. If I scraped my left knee, I had to also scrape my right knee, just to keep things in balance.
I somehow knew that both sides of my body were going to be different anyways and that I could never keep up with keeping things balanced between left and right. And then what about top and bottom?
I eventually gave up on worrying about symmetry and grew out of it.
If the child is in obvious distress, they may need reassurance and help of an adult.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:43 am

Postby Manners73 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:39 pm

It was done with a razor and it was because she liked to watch the blood trickle down.

She doesn't have any other explanation.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Wally58 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:42 am

As a non-cutter, I have found it difficult to understand why people cut. One woman told me that it helps her to feel alive. I think that answer raised more questions than it answered for me.

I am not very smart or knowledgable about this. I will have to refer this subject to someone who can relate to it or knows more about it.

My gut-feeling is that the child needs help. I know that self-harming becomes more prevalent during the stressful teen years, but a 6-year old acting out just seems like something is very wrong there.

Where are the child's parents or guardians? Can they get her in to see someone who might be able to help?

https://childmind.org/article/what-driv ... -treat-it/
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58

Postby Manners73 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:05 pm

I was talking about myself Wally58. It just seemed easier to say it in third person at the time.

It kind of slipped out in my session the other day. I've never told anyone about it before.

Therapist seemed a bit taken a back by it.

Does there have to have been an underlying reason for me doing this at such a young age?

This is the question I'm faced with but I can't remember any reason for doing it other than I liked the blood.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Wally58 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:39 pm

Understood. Bloodletting can be symbolic of cleansing or a cathartic release. There was a support group for cutters around here a while back. The woman who started it wrote a book about her experience. It was based on the 12-steps and her fragmented life story.
Cutting may be almost as common as eating disorders. It can be quite easily hidden. Scratched up arms and legs aren't usually questioned, except by people in tune with what is really going on with you.
I can't remember the name of the book, but if you like to read and have a library nearby, look for one of these. They may have answers to questions that you never thought you would ask:
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/self-harm
Thanks for sharing this aspect about yourself Manners.
We do NOT delete posts

Wally58

Postby Manners73 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:28 pm

That's a great help Wally58. Thank you.

Sometimes I like sharing.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:54 am

Manners73 wrote:What would make a child of 6 cut themselves with a razor?

Self-harm at 6 years old is very different from self-harm in adolescence (however, even in adolescence, self-harm is often an attempt at emotional regulation for something or another).

At only 6 years old, it's often considered a red flag for abuse (with exceptions obviously) - and a professional would have "duty to report" if they knew of something like that

It's not uncommon for children to find others their age or younger to re-enact sexually with as well; bed wetting even into their late teens isn't uncommon either

Sexual abuse that occurs at even younger ages (ex: infancy) often results in even more extreme behaviors like fecal smearing as well as genital mutilation, etc.

-Behavioral and Physical Signs of Possible Sexual Abuse

"engaging in self-mutilations, such as sticking themselves with pins or cutting themselves"

https://kids.delaware.gov/pdfs/ists_Sig ... orting.pdf

I think this lists what types of behaviors are normative for each age range:

-Tip Sheet: Warning Signs of Possible Sexual Abuse In A Child's Behaviors

https://www.stopitnow.org/ohc-content/tip-sheet-7
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Postby Manners73 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:45 pm

Thank you Datura. I can't remember any sexual abuse from such a young age but I have done all of the behaviours that you described.

I've not looked at the links yet though because I've just got home.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 am

Abuse and neglect in general.
I was half asleep when I replied, so I'm uncertain why I emphasized one particular form.
I don't expect people to read links I provide - I just leave them to show I'm not making things up, lol
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Next

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post