Our partner

Admitting

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

Admitting

Postby Alucard » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:35 am

I have to admit this somewhere. And I really have no one to tell that won't freak out, be disgusted, or 5150 me (lock me up).

After a year clean of no self injury, I started cutting again because my emotions and thoughts were too convoluted, hazy, and out of control. I see my new psychologist this Thursday (I've only seen her a few times) and I'm not sure if I want to share it with her. She may very well be one of those therapists who immediately run to commitment. I have a job, I attend college, I have a cat, and bills to pay, I can't afford to be in the hospital again right now.

What coping methods do you all use to prevent yourself from self injury? I used to have a long list, but it seems they've all disappeared after all the recent stuff that's been going on. Anything is helpful at this point.
I like living in the world in my head because I'm in charge half the time.
Alucard
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (9)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Admitting

Postby Shattered Mind » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:41 am

So 49/50 states can't lock you up for non dangerous self harm alone and no CA isn't the missing state that can. It can get a little dicey if you have to go to the ER for stitches (hint: try going to a urgent/immediate care clinic instead), but even then they will most likely just discharge you after you meet with their pdoc. I haven't met your psychologist (obviously) and you have but in general if you wanted to share about your SH I think it would be safe to do that. I've only had a problem with one of my first therapists who wanted me to just stop cutting cold turkey (didn't happen). The rest have never overreacted or reacted badly from my SH disclosure. While I would eventually share your SH with your psychologist, if you are not ready I don't think its important to it right now. SH is the result of your problem, not what is wrong. She will (hopefully) be focused on solving what is going on with you rather than taking away a coping mechanism even if it is an unhealthy one. Once you are feeling better you'll have less of an urge to cut.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask about coping skills. When I was in school I had very bad anxiety, particularly when test taking and I would cut to keep myself calm. I did try some alternatives; Xanax worked but I couldn't focus well on it so I rarely took it. I had a friend that would draw butterflies over where I would cut and that would help as long as I wasn't too stressed. I guess those worked the best. ... Oh there is also a sticky at the top of the forum "Self Harm, Intro, Alternatives, And Where to Get Help" that contains a list of other ideas on page 2. I hope something here helps you.
Dx: Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Shattered Mind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum