Our partner

Self harm or dissociation

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

Self harm or dissociation

Postby Aivy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:19 am

So, I had cut from the time I was 12 to 19. I stopped and then started to have times where for months I could no longer function as a human being. I'm wondering if I should go back to self harm to avoid these times where I literally cant even function. It only started after my main stress relief stopped. I'm more suicidal now than I was when I self harmed, I have gone to see doctors and they aren't very helpful. I was diagnosed with Aspergers and then told I would need to go to group with others like me, however that doesnt help the whole not able to cope with stress.
Aivy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Self harm or dissociation

Postby Shattered Mind » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:39 am

Are you on any type of medication? SSRIs do help for anxiety. Benzos work too although sadly they are becoming more difficult to get. I've been cutting for over 10 years but I can't really advise anyone to take up self harm. Yes as you already know it works but what you get from it is short lived and you are saying you can't function for months. :( Please talk to a professional and get some help for what you are felling.
Dx: Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Shattered Mind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:15 pm

Re: Self harm or dissociation

Postby birdsong87 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:30 pm

is there any way to take part in a DBT program? it is not just for BPD. They mainly teach self-regulation skills and how not to self-harm. We don't have BPD but were able to take part in DBT and it stopped both self-harm and dissociation.
Dx: DID cPTSD
L (host 1); Asti (host 2); Annett (teen protector); Maya (child); Age (observer); Thamara (child); Danielle (aut. teen); Mike (caregiver) and others
Our blog on resources https://www.dis-sos.com
birdsong87
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:15 am

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post