Our partner

*TW* Do you ever miss your scars?

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: Snaga, lilyfairy

*TW* Do you ever miss your scars?

Postby xabu » Wed May 09, 2018 12:39 am

*** TRIGGER WARNING ***

I hadn't cut for over two years and many of my minor scars are beginning to fade. It feels like I am losing a part of myself, a part of my story. Does anybody else miss scars as they fade? It seems like scars fading should be a good thing but it just doesn't feel like it at all...
Last edited by shock_the_monkey on Wed May 09, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added trigger warnings.
xabu
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: *TW* Do you ever miss your scars?

Postby shock_the_monkey » Wed May 09, 2018 1:49 am

i, personally, wouldn't miss any of my battle damage if it were gone. i've got a 3 inch scar that only serves as a reminded of things that i'd rather forget. and i'd happily surrender all my defence systems if they weren't needed any more ... but the world isn't like that.

i guess the question you ought to ask yourself is what you feel you invested in your scars.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:08 am

Postby voracious_lemon » Wed May 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Can't miss what isn't gone
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby ItsDoug » Thu May 10, 2018 3:24 pm

I've got two that required stitches, one of which is still healing and they'll become rather nasty scars. The rest should scar for a long time. At the moment I think that once I'm over this (fingers crossed) I'd want some sort of reminder but not the scars themselves as I'd have to explain them when ever someone sees my thighs. I was thinking that I'd possibly get a tattoo over them so that I know what's there but it would be hidden from others.
ItsDoug
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:08 am

Postby IronMaiden137 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:51 am

Honestly, yea sometimes, like when I look at ones that have faded. Idk i usually sh out of anger, the cuts kinda validate my feelings i guess. When they start to fade, sometimes it feels like that validation is fading too.
IronMaiden137
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Postby WildFrostRose » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:32 am

Hello,
I am brand new to this or any forum. Yes, I do miss my scars as much as I hate that I do. I used a *mod edit* so my scars were not very deep. I am trying not to relapse. I think not having the scars as such a visible of a reminder is making it harder for me. I have not relapse yet this year. Last year I did and I was clean for about 3 and half years before that.
Last edited by Snaga on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: explicit tool detail left out
WildFrostRose
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Postby ChristinaDismas » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi there!

I self harmed for years. I don't miss them, because they're still there, 10 years later. They're white lines now, and they aren't all as obvious as they were, but they're there. When I stopped, I hated them because they were a reminder and I was embarrassed by them and angry at myself for ever having done it. I have mixed feelings about them now, because I'd like to not subconsciously hide that portion of my arm if I'm wearing short sleeves or care about what bikini or swimsuit I can wear because of my hips, but I also see that part of me as knowing what it's like to be dealing with it. Even though everyone's experiences and reasons are unique with regards to self harm, I don't have that stereotypical view of people who self harm that those who haven't gone through it have. My scars make me a little sad for that younger me, but it's all a part of the makeup of who I have become now.
ChristinaDismas
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:08 am

Postby Snaga » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 am

Mine likewise are still there- they were never raised scars, on account of I burn and don't cut. And I think I've got mild vitiligo now, so I don't see them getting less light. I'm sad and feel stupid for putting them there, but a tiny part of me wants them there too. And would miss them if they did fade completely.

Life is short- make of it what you can, while you can.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post