Our partner

Seeking advice about old s.i scars

Open discussions about Cutting and Self Injury. This forum may be triggering.

Moderators: lilyfairy, Snaga

Seeking advice about old s.i scars

Postby LightCrow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:28 am

HI, I'm new to this forum and wasn't sure where to post this. I no longer self harm, but have been pondering what to do about old faded scars. I have some scarring in the form of words, that are still visible and rrally bother me to see. I am currently pregnant. I probably won't have the money for many many years to completely cover my scars with tattoos or scarification. I have been contemplating dealing with it on my own after I give birth. That is, to make new scar-like tattoos over the words so I no longer have to be tortured by seeing them. Even if I did this I would still need tattoos or something in the future for my other scarring. I honestly dnt want to deal with the the words for years longer. And I have had no luck finding an artist to give me a discount or to do it for free. I'm looking for opinions on wether I shoukd go through with this or not. I have not self harmed in several years. I am urge and trigger free. I am 100 percent certain this would not cause a relapse. I have thought about it for 2 years now with conflicting thoughts. I just don't want to be able to read them any longer. Any and all thoughts are welcome.
LightCrow
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun May 26, 2019 12:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Seeking advice about old s.i scars

Postby Shattered Mind » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi, I have permanent scars that do not bother me, however they are not words. If they were I would likely feel as you do and would want them gone.

LightCrow wrote: I have not self harmed in several years. I am urge and trigger free. I am 100 percent certain this would not cause a relapse.

I don't think you can ever be 100 percent certain given what you are talking about doing.

-S
Dx: Recurrent Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Shattered Mind
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby LightCrow » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 am

Thankyou for your concern, I'll have supervision if I carry out with it and take all precautions to be safe. I understand what your saying, I feel I will be good and it will improve my life. I've talked about it with a couple of friends and my S/O and they feel I'll be okay too.
LightCrow
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby smurf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi

I have permanent scars and the bother me a lot too. I managed to persuade a gp to refer me to dermatology. The consultant did some scar revision work, but after 3 lots of surgery only one scar looks any different. He also greatly reduced one too. Like you I have some scars that are words. They have faded a lot, but I will never wear short sleeves in public, because I don't want those words being seen. My surgeon sadly did not feel he was able to cover or reduce those scars.

Silicon based gels can help with scarring, but they are expensive. Maybe consider asking your gp for some.
smurf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 pm

Postby Snaga » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm

I second the complete certainty. I would not at all trust myself with not relapsing. I know you don't want to see the words but I'd consider all sorts of things before intentionally cutting myself again. I'd save up somehow for a simple tattoo, anything rather than risk reawakening that beast.

Tell someone you love them today, because Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because Life is also terrifying and confusing.

ISFP

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby LightCrow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:16 am

I understand your thinking. I wish I could just save for a tattoo or professional cover up. The words are surrounded by many other scarring so If I did that I'd rather cover up everything. And that would cost me at least 4 thousand from what I've looked up. Id hate to wait several years to deal with this, potentially decades since im having a child soon. However I will explore more options before deciding.
LightCrow
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby smurf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 am

Try to avoid cutting if you can. There are better safer distractions out there.

Is your midwifery team being supportive? Are they aware of previous self harm? Have you had support for the reason behind the original self harm? I guess I’m asking due to potential post natal depression. It’s important to reach out to your health visitor.
smurf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun May 26, 2019 6:26 pm

Postby LightCrow » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 pm

It's not about a distraction, more so turning bothersome words into art. Yes everyone is aware of my past. Im 6 years clean. My anxiety and depression has gotten so much better during that time too. I'll see if an artist csn cover me up for a discount. I've heard of artists even ding it for free for those with past S.I scarring. Hoping I get lucky and find one willing to do it affordably
LightCrow
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Cutting and Self Injury Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post