Our partner

FLDS ranch in Texas

Open Discussions About Cult Abuse and Mind Control or Manipulation.

Postby Chucky » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:24 pm

I believe there is a similar case to this one developing in Canada too - Am I right? Also, bereft, where have you heard about these missing boys over the age of 14? I am not from the USA so forgive my lack of knowledge on this front.

Take care,
Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby bereft » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:24 am

I think some of the FLDS groups are going to Canada to avoid prosecution. That tends to be their modus operandi.

I heard about the boy/girl ratio from some analysis done on CNN. I would have to go back and find the exact article if you are interested.

There were reports that the boys are "kicked" out of the groups once they reach 14 or so to keep them from "competing" with the older men for the younger wives.

Best,
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:24 pm

FLDS case

Postby DavidFriedman » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:16 pm

The discussion so far seems to assume that the claims about the group are true. So far as the Texas ranch is concerned, it is now clear that they were not--that there were few or no pregnant minors at the ranch, which is inconsistent with the account that the Texas authorities and much of the media got from anti-FLDS activists and believed.

It is also clear that the Texas authorities engaged in deliberate fraud in an attempt to justify their mistake after the fact. Consider their claim that they were holding 53 girls aged 14-17, of whom 31 were pregnant or minors:

1. The Department had publicly refused to accept birth certificates as proof of age, so it didn't know how old the girls were, so it was making a statement about something it could not know, so it had to be lying. Shortly before making its claim, the Department announced an increase in the number of minors it was holding, due to reclassifying some from adults to minors. It offered no explanation of its basis for doing so.

2. The two women in late pregnancy who the Department claimed were 17 it conceded, after they had their babies, were actually 18 and 22.

3. It later conceded that at least a large majority of the women it had classified as minors who said they were adults in fact were adults. One of them was 27.

4. According to the unanimous opinion of the Appeals Court that found the seizure unjustified, the actual number of girls 14-17 who were alleged to be pregnant or mothers was not 31 but 5. Marriage with parental consent is legal in Texas at 16 and was legal at 14 less than three years earlier. The Department offered no evidence of marital status for any of the five, so for all we know they could all have been entirely legal.

My conclusion is that many people, myself included, were too quick to take descriptions of the FLDS by defectors from the cult as gospel. There is no way that the FLDS, at least at the Texas ranch, could have been acting as alleged that is consistent with no more than one pregnant minor out of a population of 400+.

Interested readers may want to look at the extended discussion of the case on my blog:

http://daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/search?q=FLDS
DavidFriedman
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:24 pm

Postby bereft » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:49 am

Update:

Five men from the FLDS ranch have been indicted on criminal charges and have turned themselves in. One of the men was the doctor for the compound who is charged with not making reports of suspected abuse as required of doctors by the state of Texas.

I am going to make no prediction on this case, but the leader of the YFZ church, Warren Jeffs, has been convicted of coercing an underage girl into a polygamous marriage and is in jail in Arizona. Additionally, his DNA has been collected for use in the Texas case.

As far as the age of the girls and the culture of early marriage being acceptable within certain customs. Medical research reveals that the earlier the age that intercourse begins with a girl, the more likely that girl is to develop cervical cancer.

So maybe it is more than a social taboo to marry before the age of legal consent.
Things Fall Apart
bereft
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:24 pm

Re: FLDS ranch in Texas

Postby HesDeltanCaptain » Mon May 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Either God exists, and what's written about Him in religious texts is true and thus whatever's done is justified (regardless of what civil law says) or God doesn't exist and civil law trumps religious. But so long as we try to have both, this cultic activity will be the result. At some point then we're going to have to decide which system we wanna have: theocratic or democratic.

Either the FLDS are a cult, or they're justified. Either what's in the Book of Mormon and their modified KJV Bibles is true, and everything they do no matter how distasteful to non-FLDS is right and fine by God, or it isn't. As a Jew, I have my opinion, but at the same time conceed hey, I might be wrong, maybe they're actually right.

Religions are basically just all lies and variations on a theme. Humankind has invented some 25,000 discrete religious systems in our short time here. Either there's 1 god, many gods, or no gods. And correspondingly either 1 religion's right, some are right, or none are right. But if we allow the first or second possibility, then we have to stomach what FLDS, Islam, Nation of Islam, and the white supremacist version of Protestantism say and do is in fact from God and not just the crazy ramblings of a minority group.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I pretended to be." - Me.
HesDeltanCaptain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)

Previous

Return to Cult Abuse