Our partner

brainwashing causing compulsive lying

Open Discussions About Cult Abuse and Mind Control or Manipulation.

brainwashing causing compulsive lying

Postby rajah » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi!. I grew up in an extremist pentecostal cult up until the age of 18 (extreme, as in meetings everyday and people controlling every aspect of my life), after which me and my boyfriend escaped. (This was 8 years ago now.)
Due to the constant pressure to be perfect to avoid judgement and persecution by my family and "extended" family, I developed the protective mechanism of compulsive lying. I am now unable to tell anyone when things are going wrong, or I need help, my only instinct is to pretend that Im fine and life is great.
I don't mean to lie so much to everyone, but I do whenever I'm scared, or confused and sometimes I don't even know why I lie at all. I'm so secretive that I feel like theres a hidden person inside of me, trapped and wanting to get out.
Does anyone else have similar experiences, or advice because I am in pain and I feel so isolated and alone.
rajah
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:41 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby jasmin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi, rajah! Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you grew up in that environment. Maybe you could take it one step at a time and just tell one close friend about how you feel and confide in them when things are going bad.
You can also talk here, of course. You can try to find a therapist, if you want to.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby rajah » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:09 pm

thanks for your reply. i actually think joining this site was a first step, admitting how far the problem has gone. Plus, it's easier being honest in an internet forum. I guess practice is the only way...
rajah
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby jasmin » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:27 am

Yes, it's a good first step :wink: It will get easier when you've talked about it for a while.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: brainwashing causing compulsive lying

Postby kyle123 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:28 am

i can totally relate...do feel like if you tell the truth eveyone will like attack you?
American
Soldier

you promise me heaven then put me thru hell~bon jovi
kyle123
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:41 am

Postby lalalark2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:44 am

I have just admitted to my therapist that I do this in order to get out of situations especially with my parents, but also with friends, and co-workers.
I find it especially difficult to be truthful when I have done something that I wanted to do instead of something that someone else wanted me to do.
But it is really starting to bother me. I don't need to explain myself to my parents, or friends or co-workers. I am an adult and I am allowed to do things that I want to do, like go to the beach, or stay home and watch t.v., or go to Disneyland.
I should'nt have to explain myself or my reasoning. . . But yet I still do. . .
~Lark~
lalalark2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby emily struddles » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:45 am

I also feel like I have to lie to my friends and family and have done so my whole life. I call them white lies, It is because of my false perception of the truth caused by not remembering the past and believing things that never happened. During theses episodes I can't be trusted and the truth only comes out when I feel like they are ready and only if it doesn't hurt them.
emily struddles
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Crittle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm

I definitely understand but mines from something quite different. My ex boyfriend used to hypnotize me while I went to sleep and it would always feel like an interrogation... horrible. And, This is a long with having nine disgusting men rape me, and him taking all my belongings and locking me in a room for days giving me wine with ketamine shot into the bag to drug me. Scarey, right? I wasn't even allowed a fork due to the fact that something might get physical. And, as a result... I am a compulsive "actor". I am NEVER okay, my traumas have resulted in me having DID (multiple personality disorder). I will lie in any situation if it's to keep me more safe, but then I'll lie about stupid stuff too, it's ridiculous really! What comes out of my mouth, is usually what I don't mean but feel like I HAVE to say and have no choice. And along with my other diagnosiss I have schizophrenia so I am very very careful when talking about someone cuz I have few friends. I ALWAYS think SOMEONE is listening and it makes my lies grow in strength. I'm sorry u went through that as a child, that's horrible.
Crittle
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Dwaynne » Sun May 17, 2020 11:33 pm

Within my understanding Brainwashing is a form of Menticide: menticide in American English. (ˈmentəˌsaid) the systematic effort to undermine and destroy a person's values and beliefs, as by the use of prolonged interrogation, drugs, torture, etc., and to induce radically different ideas.
Brainwashing is the concept that the human mind can be altered or controlled by certain psychological techniques.
The third variation of ritual abuse involves non-religious ritual abuse in which the rituals were delusional or obsessive.[81] There are incidents of extreme sadistic crimes that are committed by individuals, loosely organized families and possibly in some organized cults, some of which may be connected to Satanism, though this is more likely to be related to sex trafficking; though SRA may happen in families, extended families, and localized groups, it is not believed to occur in large, organized groups.[95]

These definitions give a clear example of this it largely causes dissociation and the creation of varying personas within one individual. You could call this compulsive lying as they are intimately confused personalities.
Dwaynne
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Return to Cult Abuse