Our partner

Appreciating nature's wild side especially.

Coping Methods & Techniques message board, open discussion, and online support

Appreciating nature's wild side especially.

Postby TriggerTheStomatopod » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:28 pm

So it's not helping me at all at the moment,

But for tough times I have often found comfort in... like...

I take a lot of inspiration from nature. And wildlife particularly. And I kind of take comfort out of knowing how difficult life can be in the wild especially as well.

It makes me drop idea's like we're on this earth to find true happiness or something like that. I have got one DVD set that helps me enough on it's own. It's called "Untamed America's". Even just the opening scene really makes me appreciate life in some way... they open with following a tundra wolf. That's hunting on it's own, not in a pack like you might think. This one is solitary. And just seeing the amount of effort he has to make in order to keep chasing his prey and basically just be able to survive on it's own as well. It's not out of wanting to kill lol. It's just necessity. It really is like very impressive to say the least. And just the fact that he's alive at that moment at least (would like to say "alive today" but I have no way of knowing really) proves he's been able to feed himself for millions of years already. Like yeah his parents never had trouble with that... or like maybe trouble all of them but never one succumbing to starvation. At least not before they reproduced anyway. Otherwise he wouldn't have even been there in the first place. It's really...

Just to think about that basically. Knowing that every living thing uptil now is basically a succes story for so so long already. It's quite amazing.

But it really makes me... yeah. It has really made me belief that we're not on this planet to be happy at all. Like far from it. It's... for us at the moment already quite. Well yeah factually it should be quite an easy time for us at the moment. Other than the fact that we might have become quite detached from like... the real life. And things like depressing etc happen much more often because of this perhaps. And there's other stuff obviously as well. But the most important things are just food, some shelter perhaps. And we don't have to worry about predation. And yeah finding a partner maybe, which would have been aimed at reproduction. But yeah if you're gay or anything you can choose so as well. And we're said to be a social species so we must have a couple of friendships as well.

Like if you just consider like senses... and for example temperature? That thing is gone. It's no longer relevant!? You just put your heating in your home to let's say 20 degree celsius and you basically forget about it. Whereas if you were still living like in an ice age, it would have been present like all of the freakin time. Like maybe not even being able to escape from it? Just consider that difference, that at some point it was probably the most important thing out there that we had to worry about and now we can basically forget it and it's on it's way to disappear, because it's not even that useful anymore? That's like night and day difference. It means that actually quite literally you're already detached from reality with one of your senses already?

So there is this risk I think of drifting off and becoming lost... because of how we as humans have evolved now.

But yeah at one moment in time these things all mattered. And you were either going to be really on top of your game. Because if things would be going well your whole body and every sense you had would have told you you were doing well. So doing well would mean really doing well. For that moment at least. Or you would be struggling throughout the whole thing. And you would maybe have short moments of perhaps a little pleasure... or anyway maybe learn to appreciate it through the years.

Because if you just watch that stuff for a while, it's brutal really. And to expect anything less is underestimating life.

That has been of some comfort. I know we humans are in a very...

For example with animals and being in a zoo? They sometimes say "it's sad because this isn't their natural habitat". You could consider... what's our natural habitat?
Is it an office 40 hours a week? Most definitely not.

But yeah we're in a new situation as well. A lot of stuff feels strange. Because it is most of the time. We're having to adapt at our own technological advancements as well. We might think they have benefits... but we're not really adapted to them yet.

So yeah. It makes a lot more sense anyway looking at it from that point of view.

So it could help perhaps. In my darkest moments I just had this thought like "I just have to adapt... that's just it. New stuff. I have to get used to it". And then still obviously you're not like piloting evolution on your own. But it is often the case like, if it isn't something extremely exceptional, your kids are probably going to go through the same stuff at some point too, and their kids as well... so you might as well just start trying to adapt to these new circumstances. Or at least try.

Basically my summary is: life is a lot simpler for most animals. But what they're trying to have to deal with, is a lot more intense. Everything about it. And for us? Everything got a lot more easy... but we're kind of losing touch. That's what I think is happening and... I believe that that's what all things can be traced back to.

Just one more example. Like it's known by now that staring at illuminated screens long into the evening can upset your sleep. But do you actually appreciate the fact that we probably never in our whole evolution had this experience that light basically... just switches on and off? Like the sun would stop shining with the press of a button?! No. There's twilight, early morning... it's all very gradual. And has always been like that. Like always, maybe not even for millions of years... but billions of them. For the whole freakin life-span of life on earth. Can you imagine how confusing that could be for your eyes at least that right now it's light and within milliseconds it could actually become pitch-black? That stuff is crazy if you think about it. Oh well. I guess there is something to consider though. Like the concept of shadow? Yeah that's true. Maybe that has sort of prepared us for this instant-stuff. And could have played a part... but really... If you have an aquarium for example, consider installing this like... fading light when it's time to go to sleep. It would be the most unnatural thing to just flip them into dark lol... especially for fish. The whole ocean is a gradual gradient. Also with colors themselves. Apparently red being the first one to go for example. That stuff has probably always been the case from the very first time there was water on this planet anyway.

And maybe once in a while yourself just turn down all the lights when it's starting to get dark outside... and just sit through the whole transition gradually. I wouldn't be surprised if it was proven to be healthy to do that once in a while. Dunno. It's just my own amazement at some stuff.

Oh I could go on and on. Already have.

Life was really simple. But tough nonetheless... now it's just... confusion lol. Maybe that's where I'm going to have to stop.
TriggerTheStomatopod
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Appreciating nature's wild side especially.

Postby TriggerTheStomatopod » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 pm

Okay so yeah blinking is in fact also really...

I realized that afterwards.

Maybe I'll write a little more about it at some point but yeah. It's nice to keep an eye on at least, give it a try.
TriggerTheStomatopod
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Coping Methods & Techniques