Our partner

Anxiety and earworms

Coping Methods & Techniques message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: thegentlepath

Anxiety and earworms

Postby MikeInOk » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:21 pm

To begin, I'm new to this forum and new to the understanding that I do not have control over my anxiety. At 46, I'm also realizing I've secretly dealt with issues my whole life that aren't normal (and that they're probably related to my anxiety issues). Since grade school, I have had periods where I've dealt with pica, excoriation, stealthily counting/drumming patterns with my fingers and feet... but nothing compares to the earworms.

When I was in high school, I started having terrible migraines. I'd be in bed, writhing in pain and to try and keep my mind off the nausea the migraine was causing, and here'd come Dean Martin singing "... when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's amore...". JUST that part; over and over, like a vinyl album skipping on the same line. Every time I heard "pizza", my nausea and overall misery would only get worse. I never thought much of what caused them until they began to intensify over the last few years. And although the migraines subsided, I've dealt with these ear worms my whole life.

I am constantly bombarded with lines of songs, over and over; in the background of trying to work, talk, listen, etc. situations will set off certain songs (e.g., circus music when people are being stupid) or if I hear or read a phrase from a song I'm familiar with, here comes the musical loop. Major anxiety seems to make these ear worms worse: louder, more intense, shorter, and even more direct (e.g., words or phrases targeted at my anxiety or personal attacks on my self). At my anxiety's worst, I will go to bed with a phrase (music or spoken) uncontrollably on repeat in my mind until I finally fall asleep and when I wake, I don't know that it has stopped as it is the first thing I can comprehend; before I can even open my eyes.

I have talked to my primary care physician and he has referred me to a psychiatrist for more help. But the referred Dr. has low scores and mediocre reviews on Google, her office staff were curt, and she has no openings until November. I know that seeing a professional on this will be key to unraveling my issues and getting the correct treatment; but that's a long wait and I've never been for a mental evaluation (I'd prefer it to be a good experience). So while I try to find a new Dr, what can I do to help stop the music in my head? I used to be a music lover, but it has gotten to the point that I can't listen to it very much any more due to the ear worm risk. Even jingles on commercials get added to the mix.
MikeInOk
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Coping Methods & Techniques

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post