Our partner

Service Dogs and Coping

Coping Methods & Techniques message board, open discussion, and online support

Service Dogs and Coping

Postby kawaiimarten » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:44 pm

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this forum so hopefully this is in the right section. Now, I've been dealing with various anxiety issues for quite some time (social anxiety, agoraphobia, panic disorder) and because of these issues and my fibromyalgia, I have been training my own SD with the help of a trainer. She's still very much getting used to alerting me to anxiety but has proven that she is very good at her job, haha. She is also learning to alert to low blood sugar.

Now, I am aware on how to train her to mitigate those kinds of things. She puts a paw on my knee when my blood sugar is low, provides deep pressure therapy by either putting her head on my lap or putting her front legs on my lap, bumps my hands when I'm biting my nails, and is trained for some momentum support because of my fibro.

Just recently I've been re-enlightened to my interpersonal/personality issues. I am incredibly clingy, pretty much always feel left out or disliked and require constant approval of some kind. Would anyone else like to give me perhaps some ideas on what I could teach my dog to help mitigate these symptoms? I want to be JUST as dependent on her as I am on my boyfriend and roommate, to take some of the pressure off of them.

This is spurred by a conversation me and my BF had last night about me giving him a little more independence, as he feels like I always get upset when he goes out and I'm not involved and that I get irrationally upset when he wants to do things without me. Yes, it's not a healthy way to treat another person, but that is why I am here. I plan on reading up on other coping mechanisms as well and finding a way to manage my emotions so this relationship can continue.

Thanks guys!
kawaiimarten
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Coping Methods & Techniques

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post