Our partner

Is it common to cry when meditating in some way?

Coping Methods & Techniques message board, open discussion, and online support

Is it common to cry when meditating in some way?

Postby xod_s » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:59 pm

Early on when I first started to doing breathing exercises there'd be a churning of thoughts going on in my mind with some which are grief inducing to make starting crying then and there. I wonder, is it common with ppl who are starting to meditating or even ppl with experience that every now and then a particularly negative thought might emerge which can cause that but they'll continue anyhow?.
xod_s
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (134)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is it common to cry when meditating in some way?

Postby Seangel » Sun May 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi xod_s,

I don't know if it's common, but it has happened to me, and I've assisted Chakra Balancing sessions in which the purpose was to balance chakras, and the instructor said that we could start crying.

It has happened to me in two occasions. That time, I had come out of a hurtful relationship, and I turned to Yoga to find inner balance and peace. As we were doing the physical exercises to balance the chakras, I began to cry, and a nice healing feeling was felt inside.

Another time that happened, was after I met a very important person in my life. I went on to meditating, nothing special, nothing focused on the person, just closing my eyes, and quieting my thoughts.

I began to cry, as if something deep inside was being healed, but I had no idea what it was about. I cried as if we had re-encountered, and past stuff were being healed. It was awesome actually, but I had no idea what the reasons for my crying were.

So yeah, it can happen, and I think it has to do with healing.

Sea
Taking myself some time away from PF. Sea (Dec, 2016)
Seangel
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby StrongMum » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:55 am

Hiya,

i've done heaps of meditation, healing work over the years. and yes, it's normal. although i'm not surprised people dont' talk about it.

the thing is emotions are designed to be felt. and our minds are trying to protect us from feeling hurtful things. so when you stop your mind (meditate) and allow the emotions to do what they do, they will very often release. this can be crying, laughing, coughing, sneezing, tummy gurgling, etc.

when your mind steps aside, and you're able to relax into the emotion, you dont really 'think' anything about it. it just is, and it is the deepest form of healing you can do.

hope that makes sense, and is useful. keep doing what you're doing, it sounds powerful.
StrongMum
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:11 pm

Postby bunnybug » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:40 am

It happened to me and some people I know. It's a state of lowered inhibition, so weird things happening is not surprising. Some people laugh uncontrollably while meditating.
Do not be proud of your disorder, be proud it does not define you and your struggles with it.
bunnybug
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby maria10 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Yep it's happened to me before too, when you meditate you are engaging in the present moment and are not as bounded by thoughts of being judged, or defence mechanisms against difficult feelings/thoughts so it is only natural that a number of different emotions may arise.
maria10
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:11 pm

Return to Coping Methods & Techniques