Our partner

How do you deal with Conversion Disorder on a daily basis??

Conversion Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

How do you deal with Conversion Disorder on a daily basis??

Postby Hmmm? » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Hello,

I currently have conversion disorder that is stopping me from speaking. When i try to speak i stutter and have whole body convulsions and shakes. Sometimes the shakes happen without me trying to talk. I find this happens when i concentrate on how the conversion feels... Do you recognise any triggers?

Has anyone found how to stop this happening? Does CBT help? Do you think differently before the conversion occurs? Does your inner voice change when you experience CD? Do you feel like you need to let something release from your body?

Thanks for your input.

Matt
Hmmm?
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do you deal with Conversion Disorder on a daily basi

Postby jasmin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi, Matt! Did your therapist suggest CBT? Sorry this forum is a little slow at the moment.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Hmmm? » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Hey Jasmin,

Yeah they suggested CBT, start next week :)

I was just wondering what other therapies are available that people may have tried. Going to ask my psych again this week.

Also I hear this voice in my head when i have the Conversion, was wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Thanks for your response!

Matt
Hmmm?
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jasmin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Oh I see, good luck then Matt! Feel free to make more threads asking stuff if you want.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby gabigoo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 am

((Matt)) hugs and more hugs- I suffer from conversion disorder. About 8 years ago I wasn't able to walk, I literally had to be in a wheel chair if I had an errand. Speaking was very difficult, writing was different too, I used to have amazing handwriting and now its horriable. I had non-epileptic seizures (frrom conversion disorder) for a long time (6+ mnths), my seizures would last an hour, would happen mulit times a day. I arm and legs were always shaking, I was always fatigue.
Therapy helped a lot, family support helped me, and believing I would get well. I left alone and scared, I thought I was a freak, I felt like I was doing this all on purpose because it all started happening over night. What I believe is that conversion disorder happens because of unresolved issues. You really have to push yourself. Somedays you will feel wonderful and a little back to the old. Matt and other days you'll feel back to your new 'normal' state suffering from this disorder.

So Matt, reason I came on the site today is becase I'm going through a very stressful patch in my life, and I feel my tingles in my arm, the fatigue and brain fog. What I mean by brain fog is I'm off, my brain feels fuzzy, I'm over emotional, and scared. Like, the symptoms wil reappear. I'm in therapy still. Once 2 a month I have a session.

One thing I will give you from personal experience is when you're 'well' again, and symptoms dissapear take very good care of yourself. Exersice, don't forget meals, and 8 hrs of sleep. With all of that you will (should) stay happy, with limited symt

-- Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:40 pm --

Because what I found w myself is that if I slack for too long I find things reappearing.

Good luck, this disoder will most likely have you view life differently because you're so much stronger than you were...

Gabi.

By the way, How are you doing since ur last post?
gabigoo
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:48 pm

Postby Convertthis » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:20 am

Dear Matt,

I have been treated with a modified form of EMDR over the last few months and have had great success with this. The difficulty in treating CD is because there are always underlying symptoms that need to be treated as well (i.e. depression, anxiety). I didn't find CBT helpful, for me, because it was too much about behavioral training and not about the mind-body connection. How does one stay present in the body under stressful situations or after a trigger? CBT doesn't really address this. In my opinion, It also doesn't address the underlying trauma that causes the events. I do bio-destressing and that helps me stay centered and yoga is amazing. The breathing techniques help with anxiety and helps you stay centered. Best of luck to you. http://convertthis.wordpress.com
Convertthis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:48 pm

Postby mkpl709 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:53 am

well geez. I live in Hawaii, and i feel like since i got diagnosed Conversion in 2009, no doctor has cared enough to suggest anything at all. My symptoms went away about a year or so ago, and have been reoccurring lately-mind you, i have less stress lately than ever. I finally took it into my own hands to see a psychologist. I'm happier than ever and i have only had one meeting with a professional. So, i just really wanted to say, that it's possible to not need the drugs or things like that. It's kind of up to you and how you see your Conversion, I guess. But man, Hawaii needs to step up their health game!
mkpl709
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:48 am

Postby Hmmm? » Mon May 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies on here! Great to know that there are people who understand what conversion disorder is all about and how frustrating it can be!

The CBT helped a little, ended up screaming a lot in it though which was a great release!! I recommend it for everyone, as barmy as that might sound a good scream really helped! I think any ideaas that work are worth sharing!

Still got the conversion disorder, trying to get back to work but unable, and still not found any triggers. Currently going through a psychotic depression (allegedly)...

I'm getting intense relaxation therapy over the next 10 weeks so will keep you posted with how that goes.

Hope you're all doing well :) xx
Hmmm?
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby jasmin » Tue May 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey! Thanks for the update and good luck :D
forum-rules.php
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Hope2 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 am

info and help at www.fndhope.org there is also a link to a forum on facebook and healthunlocked.
Hope2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:48 pm

Return to Conversion Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post