Our partner

Will it always be this way?

Conversion Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Will it always be this way?

Postby The Glass Lantern » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:30 am

I started having problems a few days ago with stroke-like symptoms in the right side of my body. They were sudden and gradually got worse - the stuttering in particular. Two times I went to the ER and they could not find out what was wrong, since my catscan and MRI came back clear. Since my symptoms appeared to be neurological, but there were no actual signs of a stroke/injury, or anything like that they sent me to a neurologist.

I go to the neurologist and she asked me what was wrong but before I could really say much, she cut me off and started talking about her belief that this was CD. She then began to ask questions involving depression and possible stressors, but did not want to accept any answer I gave her. She asked the same things over and over, like she expected something different every time. Will every doctor, or 'official' I see think always I am a liar or exaggerating? Do they automatically assume that I am trying to seek attention, or something along those lines? I am upset enough as it is because, no matter what I do, I can't stop the shaking and the stuttering but to have the worry that I am going to be written off as crazy, never taken seriously or...I do not even know. I'm afraid to even see doctors any more, or go to the hospital. If this is 'all in my head' should I even bother?

Now that this diagnosis has been mentioned, I even have certain family members that are all for it. Personally, I do not care. Whatever is causing these problems, I want them to fix it, to make it stop but how can I trust people that want to get rid of me the second I step into their offices or treat me like a waste of time? I do not understand. It's upsetting and confusing and I feel at a loss for what I should do or think any more.
The Glass Lantern
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Will it always be this way?

Postby jasmin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:15 am

Hi, The Glass Lantern! Well, maybe talk to a psych doctor or maybe even two about this and see what they have to say. But it's ok to be honest with them and tell them about your worries that you're not being taken seriously and tell them what you really think about it all. You could find better, more sensitive doctors, you deserve to have better luck. Try to find a second opinion from a neurologist too.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Jess_Marie77 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:02 am

Hi,
I just found this forum and I'm wondering the same thing. Im 19 years old. I got Diagnosed with conversion disorder last year (Sept. 2010) a day before my birthday. It lasted 6 1/2 hours they ran several tests at the ER and after almost 24 hours came up with Conversion Disorder. Its been a little over a year and I am 8 months pregnant and still experiencing problems with it. My OB said that the baby is very protected so when i go into a convulsion it wont harm the baby. But it is very tiring having to deal with it and it worries me for what might happen after my baby is here and i go into one.. Ive looked online and done tons of research about it, i still havent found a doctor that is able to help treat me where i live.
Jess_Marie77
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Mercedez » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:47 pm

The Glass Lantern wrote:I started having problems a few days ago with stroke-like symptoms in the right side of my body. They were sudden and gradually got worse - the stuttering in particular. Two times I went to the ER and they could not find out what was wrong, since my catscan and MRI came back clear. Since my symptoms appeared to be neurological, but there were no actual signs of a stroke/injury, or anything like that they sent me to a neurologist.

I go to the neurologist and she asked me what was wrong but before I could really say much, she cut me off and started talking about her belief that this was CD. She then began to ask questions involving depression and possible stressors, but did not want to accept any answer I gave her. She asked the same things over and over, like she expected something different every time. Will every doctor, or 'official' I see think always I am a liar or exaggerating? Do they automatically assume that I am trying to seek attention, or something along those lines? I am upset enough as it is because, no matter what I do, I can't stop the shaking and the stuttering but to have the worry that I am going to be written off as crazy, never taken seriously or...I do not even know. I'm afraid to even see doctors any more, or go to the hospital. If this is 'all in my head' should I even bother?

Now that this diagnosis has been mentioned, I even have certain family members that are all for it. Personally, I do not care. Whatever is causing these problems, I want them to fix it, to make it stop but how can I trust people that want to get rid of me the second I step into their offices or treat me like a waste of time? I do not understand. It's upsetting and confusing and I feel at a loss for what I should do or think any more.

i feel the same way but now that i know i have cd i feel alot better knowing what is wrong with me i just hate how people think oh shes having another attack she wants attention i hate this i really do i even have dreams of me suffering through this i feel like there is no escape from this im am so glad there is a forum for to talk theses feeling out i just want to know will i ever be normal or will i alwalys have this ty for listening
Mercedez
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:46 am

Return to Conversion Disorder Forum