Our partner

conversion disorder symptom swallowing difficulties

Conversion Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

conversion disorder symptom swallowing difficulties

Postby labs4kerri » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:47 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with conversion disorder in October of 2004. One of my symptoms is swallowing difficulties. I have seen a lot of posts pertaining to difficulties walking, and seizures, which I also have, but not very many in regards to swallowing. I would like to connect with anyone that has this particular symptom and would like to know how severe it is, what you do to work with it etc. I am not able to swallow enough food to get the required ammount of calories. Because of this, I have a feeding tube (PEG tube) in my stomach which delivers through the use of a feeding pump most of my calories over night. From what I have read, swallowing difficulties in conversion disorder can be connected to things like childhood sexual abuse. This is the case with me and because of that, getting rid of this feeding tube is going to be a huge undertaking! I have already had it for seven months which is a lot longer then the docs or me expected. Now everyone is thinking it could be in for a period of years. Hope to hear from someone soon! Kerri
labs4kerri
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

conversion disorder/difficulty swallowing

Postby jennyjenny8675309 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:03 am

Hi. I was diagnosed with Conversion Disorder in Dec. '04. I had problems walking and talking. Still cannot talk right but I can walk normal again. When I was researching conversion disorder, I typed in "Conversion Disorder and Difficulty Speaking". That when I found a site that was associated with difficulty speaking since I had never known that to be a symptom. Anyhow, it also says a smyptom is difficulty with swallowing also. The website was www.intelihealth.com.

I had actually seen an ear, nose and throat doctor a couple years ago when I was having problems swallowing and he told me I had allegeries and put me on an allergy pill which did nothing. Just a side note. Also, I know with MS you can have difficulty swallowing which is what they thought I had at one point.
jennyjenny8675309

Postby labs4kerri » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi, sorry it has taken me so long to respond. When you say you have problems talking, can you describe that? I have an interest in speech and language development and issues. So that is just a curiosity on my part.

Thank you for the website link. I will defenitley look into that. I also have found articles and such that talk about difficulties swallowing as a symptom of conversion disorder, but I have seen only one article which goes into it deeper, which leads me to beleive it is one of the more rarer symtoms in CD.
Hmm I wonder if your swallowing problems at that time were conversion disorder too? I have looked back over my life and thought, Oh I bet that symptom was really conversion disorder. It is interesting to think about.
Yeah they thought I had MS at first too. That is actually why I spent time in the hospital, at first because they thought it was MS or something like it. I have a website if you are interested. It tells my conversion disorder story. www.caringbridge.org/canada/kerri

Kerri
labs4kerri
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Swallowing Problem

Postby Dankato » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:59 am

Hi Kerry,

I read your post on the swallowing problem related to conversin disorder, i have also been looking for someone with this problem for ages.

My husband was diagnosed with conversion disorder 2 years ago when he suddenly could no longer keep down any food or drink. As soon as he swallows anything it comes back up, so he was taught to use a nasal gastric tube that he puts down into his stomach to feed himself a liquid diet. He has been feeding himself this way now for 2 years. His general health has deteriorated since getting this disorder, and he has also had a constant headache since the onset of it all.

He has had endless tests looking for an organic reason for these symptoms, but it seems that there is no organic reason for it. He has had a course of ECT that had no effect on this disorder, and drugs (anti-depressants etc.) and endless therapy that has also not lifted the symptoms.

I would like to know if there is any treatment for it and how many other people suffer from a simalar thing. Please let me know.

Kathy.
Dankato

Postby labs4kerri » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:28 pm

Hi Kathy, Wow, I have been looking for a whole year for someone with swallowing difficulties as severe as mine due to conversion disorder! I am happy that I finally found some one as I am sure you are too. My first question to you is have you and your husband ever talked about getting a G tube instead of an NG tube. G tubes are more permanent and easier to deal with. It requires a minor surgery but it is easier that way. I have a PEG tube. If you want more info n that just ask. What other symptoms does he have? Are they nutrition related or are they related to something else? I will get to your questions I promise! LOL I am sorry he has had a headache this whole time too. This is defenitley not easy to deal with. It sounds like you guys have tried many different treatmments. ECT is an interesting one. Anti depressents and all that too. What types of therapy has he had. The talking kind? Have these people known about conversion disorder ahead of time? Treatment for conversion disorder specificially is varied because of people having different symptoms and such. There are several different therapies that are recommended. One is called Cognitive Behavioural therapy which teaches the person to think differently about whatever their problem is. Sort of hard to explain. Another is the regular talking therapy which is also known as psychoanalytic therapy and another type is EMDR. I can't remember what EMDR stands for but it has to do with making the right and left brain work differently together. Boy I am not explaining that w4ell at all! Sorry. Those ar ethe types of therapy that have been recommended to me. I am still in the process of looking for a counsler. Sometimes physical therapy is recommended as well. Depending on the symptoms. You have to get to whatever caused the conversion disorder. The trauma or whatever the sub concious mind is hiding you from to fix the symptoms. Everyone I run across can't beleive I have been on my feeding tube for so long because of psychological reasons. Some even believe I am addicted to it, which is not the case. What formula is your husband on? I am on two cal hn. The way I see it is there is no real cure for conversion disorder because science does not know enough about how the mind and physical body interact yet, but there are things we can try, like putting together a puzzle, and some combonations of therapy work for some people, oh hypnosis is another one they try and some thing work and some things don't. But as far as the tube goes I would recommend going for a PEG tube if you can. Hope to hear from you soon. Kerri labs4kerri@sympatico.ca
labs4kerri
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

conversion disorder

Postby dankato » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:06 am

Hi Kerri,

My husband has replied to your recent post directly to your e-mail address regarding the swallowing problem.

Kathy
dankato

Hi Kathy

Postby Snowy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:27 pm

Hi Kathy,

I have somatoform disorder which is similar to conversion disorder. Thankfully I don't have swallowing problems but I have problems with walking and need a wheelchair or a rollator and walking stick to get about.

I've had it for 8 years now and have had many symptoms including double incontinence, tremors, spasms, blindness, fatigue and bad cognitive problems.

I've just had quite a nasty relapse and am back in the wheelchair again but it is good to know there are others out there with this disorder.

I'm not too sure of the exact difference between CD and SD but they are very similar with similar causes to the illnesses.

I also suffer from bad depression and get psychosis. I'm on medication for this though and so far so good.

I hope your husband starts to improve soon and you find the right treatment. There doesn't really seem to be any treatment for this disorder other than therapy and medication to relieve the symptoms.

Love,

Becky
xxxxx
Becky
xxxxxxx
Snowy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby nola » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:49 pm

During my episodes, I have trouble with swallowing. The first few days I cant swallow at all, so I have to dribble or have the saliva sucked out, but then I can swallow just enough to get of the saliva but cant swallow any food or medication so I have a drip so I dont get dehydrated and all my medication in IV form. At the end of the episodes, my swallowing improves but I always have a little trouble, I choke quite easily on my food if Im not concentrating.
nola
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Conversion Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post