Our partner

do doctors really understand this?

Conversion Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

do doctors really understand this?

Postby amytweak » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:48 am

I have just been diagnosed with CD. In fact I wasn't: I was told it was all in my head, to go home and see a psychiatrist. Great minor detail... I can't walk. They dismissed me from hospital with out walking aids or any physio. And what am I meant to tell my boss? my doctor thinks I'm making this up? I haven't been able to walk normally for almost 2 months. This is obviously pretty limiting. I have taken it upon myself to organize walking aids but every time I see a health professional they want to take them away from me. I mean how would they feel if I took away their only source of any independence? If I don't have walking aids I can't even get to the bathroom let alone carry on doing my job. It makes me really distrust neurologists. They are actively rude to me despite the fact I am paying them a fortune and they wont help me. They wont even supply documentation to excuse my absence and limitations at work.
amytweak
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:05 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: do doctors really understand this?

Postby cagnileous » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:33 pm

I posted that on the other persons question, but I wanted to make sure you were able to read it, if it helps at all...

amytweak you are not crazy! No one with a true CD is crazy. When I was first diagnosed I cried because I thought I was crazy and it was me making myself have symptoms. But I had a therapist in my room with my at the hospital when the Dr came into diagnose me and my husband who had heard of a case of CD in women in Africa where they witnessed all their tribe family and people slaughtered before their eyes. They were rescued and then months later all of them went blind. The women had to go through psychotherapy to treat the trauma the brain stored in stress cells that converted to the symptom they had of blindness when in fact they were examined and absolutely nothing was physically wrong with their eyes. As soon as the women started therapy they all slowly regained their sight. They were not crazy, you are not crazy, I am not crazy! What is hard is that CD is a very confusing hard diagnosis I spent 7 days having every single test known to the neurological world done to me and they came back with nothing, I had an eye Dr full examine my eyes and they were completely healthy although I could not see anything. I was paralyzed from the waist down and lost all reflexes in my legs and my feet were completely numb and yet I was as far as you can test and prove completely healthy! It was so frustrating and expensive and tiring and all I got was a diagnosis that sounds psychotic. But in reality the brain is a powerful tool and it is still not fully understood by the medical world today! Just know you may need to seek a therapist to talk about CD and what may be the underlining cause. Doctors can't treat CD they have only the ability to treat symptoms, and if your symptoms can't be explained by them they are helpless to help you. Just because the brain can cause CD doesn't mean we have any control over it and its not us causing it. I feel for you and everyone stuck in this terribly diagnosis of something that to me is the hardest thing to understand, treat, or get better from. I am still trying to figure out if I have to see a therapist in order to fully get better???
cagnileous
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:05 pm

Postby amytweak » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:49 am

Glad to hear I'm not alone on this one. not that I would wish these things on anyone. It's just been such a battle to get anyone to understand. Does talking to a psychiatrist help? I've seen 4 different ones now but every time I get even close to having them understand me let alone treat what is going on they pass me on to someone else. I am a scientist and I work in a lab which is hardly the safest environment for someone with mobility limitations and I just can't get anyone to commit to writing some documentation which will make the university do anything to make my job safer. I guess these are just frustrations anyone with CD deals with.
amytweak
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby smiffy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:05 am

dear amytweak no doctor understands why this happens that why psychiatrists ask you loads of questions about your past just so they can put it all down to one single thing. but it s not always about one specific thing. i read a book called cycle of life which is very interesting it about how she started and how she got over it. i also read up on cd to much information it did my head in. it to do with a secret. that you may have kept it could be something very small or something big. only you know what it is, it s like your subconcious telling you that it s not right. it could be anything from medical to something personal from the past to the future. your inner self doing it. i dont mean you do it yourself because i know you cant control it. drugs are not going to help they mask over the problem and only add to your stress the drugs they prescribe do you more harm than good. they cause you long term medical conditions which you dont want. keep fighting it of dont give in to it. i know how hard it is ive had it over a year now i hope this may have helped you a bit. take care you sound as though you got good man there mine was an arse he couldnt accept mine be happy big hug
smiffy
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby irishrover » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 pm

I have a "true" neuro condition but with the range of symptoms I displayed and with a long history on psych wards I was passed quickly from medical to psych, one medical dr when he saw on his round refered straight to psych even thought the neuro I was seeing by that point hasn't made his conclusive diagnosis (was waiting for more evidence unknown to me), psych refered me back to neuro and although the psych liaision seemed to think that it came from past trauma and childhood experences and that it may be functional neurological disorder aka conversion disorder, the neuro was quick to explain to me that its something that psychs tend to use when they don't really know and that the mind and body are so interlinked that it can convert mental distress to physical symptoms

it helped to look at this site which explains it well - http://www.neurosymptoms.org/#/in-the-mind/4533053408

hey remember that about 50 years ago, multiple sclerosis was "all in the mind"
irishrover
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Conversion Disorder Forum